Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
BabyNick#2
Registered Users
seller

Positive stories needed for c-sec. recovery with kids

I have a 4 yr old and a almost 11 month old now. Due to my high risk pregnancy, looks like I will need a c-section. I have no family to help me out, they are all in WI, I live in AZ. Few friends here, and funny that the only one I would trust with my kids, is two weeks behind me in her first pregnancy. So at the time I would deliver, ds #2 will be about 14 months.
I am so horrified at the thought of trying to recover, and trying to take care of my babies. Not really the oldest, he is pretty independent and will be 4.5 at the time. But I dont know how I will do it.
Anyone have experience close to this?
How did it go, how was recovery?
Anyone do this type of thing with no help?

Advertisement

BabyNick#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Positive stories needed for c-sec. recovery with kids

It's not that bad, really. By the time you leave the hospital, you're in pretty good shape. My boys are 18 months apart. That's hard, no getting around that. The c/s shouldn't be too bad. Although, I have no experience with a vaginal birth. I took percocet/motrin for the pain for about a week. I wasn't supposed to go up and down stairs or drive. Otherwise, we went about business as usual. I was even able to pick up my oldest ds. Luckily, he was a featherweight

Will dh be able to take some time off?
massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

both of my kids were c-sections Kylie was an emergency one that took me forever to recouperate Logan was scheduled and the thing that helped me the most was to get out of bed asap and move around. The gas build up alone from kylie kept me down and out. i got up only 4 hours after logan was born and discharged myself on the 3rd day. And the 4th day i was alone with both kids at home. I think i just set my mind to it and that helped wonders!!!

and hugs momma you can do it
Old 12-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

after the 4 days in the hospital if you make sure to get up and walk around as soon as they let you, you should be good. its going to be not picking up the 11 mo old for 2 weeks that gets you.
i had an emergency c-section and after 7 days i was okay, not 100% but could do basics like cooking.

make sure All clothes are clean before you go in, this will prolong what you need to do when you get home, and have the 4y old and 11mo old help by emptying the dryer, they'll love it!
good luck mama, maybe a ds mama lives close?
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
maryjane
Registered Users

I had to have a c-section with my twins. I was so miserable thinking about it. I had 5 other children at home including a 2.5 year old. I had easy, easy vaginal births with all 5 of them. The c-section recovery sucked but it wasn't unbearable. The gas pains were awful and I was sore and more tired for a much longer time, but I had my c-section on Monday night and was at the grocery store on Saturday. Even though compared to a vaginal for me it was awful it wasn't unbearable. I was able to take care of my twins and breastfeed them and take care of my 2.5 year old. I had help in the form of my mil but all she was good for was picking the kids up from school. I still had to do all the cleaning and meal prep. It will all work out.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ive had 2 c-sections and the biggest thing I can tell you is just take it easy. Dont push yourself, even if you feel okay (I learned the hard way with CS #2). My first c-section recovery was a breeze, I was back to normal routine very quickly, which is why I think I pushed myself too hard the second time. The pain wasn't that bad with either of them. One positive - your Dr will "clean" your uterus out during the surgery and you'll have WAY less PP bleeding. My bleeding with DS was only a week.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when my youngest dd was born i had an 8yo and an 3yo. I'm sure it will be harder with a 1yo like you'll have but i did really well recovery-wise and didn't have much pain at all. I would try to just be prepared with quick foods for your kids. Even if you don't normally buy prepared/frozen foods it will be easy for your 4yo to grab juicies from the fridge or little packages of applesauce/fruit. Some easy microwave dinners or 1 dish meals you can throw in the oven. Try and take it easy cause your recovery will be better and quicker from my experience but you dont' have to be bedridden. Unless of course you had a complicated c/s birth.
Oh and the gas pains were what bothered/hurt me the most in the hospital. If you are offered the enama things (whatever they're called) it REALLY REALLY helps! The bloated gassiness really puts pressure on the c/s incision. Keep a hard pillow near you to help you get up off the couch and stuff. Press it into your belly and it helps with the pain of getting up. Good luck!!
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

I've had 3 c-sections. My last section took a bit of organization b/c I would be in the hospital with 3 small kids at home (a 6 yr old and two 2 year olds) and then I'd come home to the day to day issues of caring for a family. My mom drove up to look after things while I was in the hospital and my MIL came in every day for 2 weeks to help me take care of the house when I came home so I could allow things to heal properly (very important the 3rd time around). I felt really quite fine after about a week but it's so important to take it easy, not lift, not do any running around or loads of movement for as long as you can. The set up we had worked out really well.

If you can't get someone to come in to help for the 1st couple weeks just let everything that doesn't NEED to be done slide.
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
rafrach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had 2 emergency c-sections. I totally agree with the gas thing - when the nurses suggest that you get walking asap, it's a really good idea, otherwise you just bloat up like a balloon (try coping with that when your in-laws have invaded your recovery room!).
As for the pain, not too bad, just really remember to use your arms to push yourself up - it's amazing how much you usually use your stomach muscles without noticing. To get up from the bed I had to do a half roll onto my side and then push my body upright.
Good luck!

www.myhatty.com www.myhatty.etsy.com www.hyenacart.com/mainstreet
rafrach is offline   Reply With Quote