Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
AlexandZoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A ? for delayed vaxing mamas

Ok - we did my son's 2 and 4 month vax's on schedule but the 4 month ones hit him like a ton of bricks! I had been worrying about so many shots at once but that really drove home the point that it was too much for his system to process at once.

So what I am wondering.... we are going to continue most of the recommended vaccinations (we have eliminated the ones we aren't comfortable with or don't feel he needs but he is getting most of them) but I am wondering about how the delayed vaxing mamas out there do it. Do you do a few at each visit? How do you pick which to do sooner and which to do later? Our doctor is very open minded and I am sure he'll help us decide as well - but I just wanted to hear from others out there who have BTDT.

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
joyfulsoul
Happy Squeal Creations
seller

My Mood:
Re: A ? for delayed vaxing mamas

Right now our plan is no vax until the baby is 2 years old. But that is not set in stone. 2 is about when the brain/blood barrier is established,and my understanding is that makes it much safer. HTH.
joyfulsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

We sort of went on schedule until my dd came up with a rash that we couldn't identify, then I just decided that all those vaccines were not as necessary a the moment. Then she got chickenpox at 8 months, so that was another shot down. We've just been doing one at a time when we visit. They told me her last visit she needed 4-5 (we got one) and then they said she would have to have a pox booster soon, WHAT??? (I don't THINK so!)
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At first I decide not any more until he was 1. He turned 1 and there was still no way, so I said 2. He's 21 months now and I've long decided that he won't be getting any. I know a mama on MDC recently made a thread about how she put off her child's shots until I think he was... 3 or 5, and he still had a severe reaction. Totally changed him.

But before I decided to stop them all, I cut out the ones that I thought were most dangerous or ineffective. DTaP (though Pertussis worried, and still worries, me, the vaccine is beyond not effective and the shot is seriously dangerous), MMR, and Chicken Pox were the first to go. Then moved on to nix the rest. IPV isn't needed, Prevnar and PC are too new and I'm not willing to let my son be the governments guinea pig. Rotavirus and the Flu shot are laughable. The only one I really think is a good vaccine, in general, is HiB. But even then, you get serotype replacement. i.e. You kill off the HiB virus very effectively, but then your child is more likely to get HiA for example. It's basically exchanging one for the other, neither of which are good. So I'd rather stay with the one our bodies are more equipped to handle, which is HiB. Plus, if you breastfeed (I didn't past 2 weeks) then HiB's not even needed.