Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
judahmom
Registered Users
seller

New here. Fav. diaper pail method? Advice?

Hi, I'm brand spankin' new to cloth diapering (just got my load of prefolds in the mail today...they're on their 3rd go-round in the washer right now) and have much to learn! Just wanted to know how people do pails. I am switching from disposables, so I have a small Diaper Dekor pail that we fit with tall white kitchen trash bags. Can I continue using this or will our house start stinking to high heaven? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Also, any general advice would be good. Don't tell me to stay in control because I already sense an addiction to cute diapers coming on!

Thanks!

Advertisement

judahmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: New here. Fav. diaper pail method? Advice?

I would say you're going to need something bigger because cloth diapers don't fold up into neat little balls like sposies do. I had an 8 gallon pail, but quickly learned that was way too small.
I now just use a 13 gallon can, like you would for the kitchen, with a lid on it. You can tape deo disks to the lid if you want. But I find that as long as i spray off the poop before dumping them in the pail, the there is not that much odor. Sposies stink waaay worse.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i use a MOE hanging bag that snaps onto a door, that way it can be rewashed every time. it also has a terry square sewn in so i add a few drops of TTO or lavander..no stinkies at all!!
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not sure what your pail looks like, but I have the cheap-o $10 saftey first pail that I use with a Walmart "Stuff Bag" (you can find in the camping section) in it. I don't do anything special, although I think when I get my EOs from the co-op, I might put a drop or two of TTO on a wipe and drop it in there. I don't really have smell issues, but my sewing room is the same room as the changing room, so the nice smell will be relaxing.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:00 AM   #5
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a Swaddlebees PUL diaper pail liner that I hung on the wall. I throw a wipe soaked in this diaper rinse I bought a while back (it has TTO and lavender EOs in it) to keep the stinkies at bay, then just throw the dipes in the bag as we go through the day (rinsing off the poo dipes with the diaper sprayer first, of course). Every other day I wash everything in the bag (and the bag as well). Even though the bag doesn't close all the way, we have had NO stink issues. It smells far better now than it did before when we used sposies.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Heidiliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a 52 qt. trash can with a push-button lid that I got at Walmart for less than $10. Now, I do have 2 boys in diapers, so I needed a big diaper pail. You may be able to get by with something a little smaller than mine. The one I have is Sterilite size D. It works great.

www.d65ppc.com - Pay Per Click Management
Heidiliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
judahmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!
judahmom is offline   Reply With Quote