Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #41
Griffinsmom's Avatar
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,536
My Mood:
Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2girls View Post
Cereal has nothing they're not getting from bm. Fruits & veggies, some but still doesn't compete w/bm.



If someone starts baby on solids before the lining of the gut is sealed, there is a significantly higher chance of a reaction to it. Off to find some specifics to cite...


What cereal has that bm doesn't is iron, or so I'm told and have read. Again, to me it's not about "competing with bm" because it's not about giving solids instead of bm, it's in addition to bm and given after feeds so as not to decrease the amount of bm a baby drinks.

The info on allergies not being prevented by delaying came from an allergist. It was interesting because a couple of years ago with her first baby, he had recommended that she delay introduction of certain foods, but in her last appointment he was telling her that the most recent studies suggest that it does not help prevent allergies as they had thought it would (because of teh idea that the gut isn't selaed etc). So for her second child he just suggested to start at 6 months or thereabouts and to introduce foods slowly and carefully, giving each new food for at least 5 days in a row so that she would be able to assess how baby was doing with each one. He still recommended to be careful with the highly allergic foods such as nuts, but said that was more a common sense caution than with the idea that delaying giving it would prevent allergies.

I also think it's important when reading articles about "delaying the introduction of solids" to see what their definition of "delaying is. Almost everything I've read described "delaying" as introducing after 4-6 or 6 months. To me that's not delayed, that's the typical but I guess that's because I'm of the younger generation.
It's really crazy talking to people my parents age that talk about how they started feeding their babies solids at 2 weeks!! My mom claims I was eating just about anything they ate but in pureed form by six weeks. When people of that age comment on how happy and easy going my babies are, I always think "ya because they don't have belly aches from trying to digest all that food! "

Advertisement

Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #42
tracyb928's Avatar
tracyb928
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 662
My Mood:
Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinsmom View Post
What cereal has that bm doesn't is iron, or so I'm told and have read. Again, to me it's not about "competing with bm" because it's not about giving solids instead of bm, it's in addition to bm and given after feeds so as not to decrease the amount of bm a baby drinks.

The info on allergies not being prevented by delaying came from an allergist. It was interesting because a couple of years ago with her first baby, he had recommended that she delay introduction of certain foods, but in her last appointment he was telling her that the most recent studies suggest that it does not help prevent allergies as they had thought it would (because of teh idea that the gut isn't selaed etc). So for her second child he just suggested to start at 6 months or thereabouts and to introduce foods slowly and carefully, giving each new food for at least 5 days in a row so that she would be able to assess how baby was doing with each one. He still recommended to be careful with the highly allergic foods such as nuts, but said that was more a common sense caution than with the idea that delaying giving it would prevent allergies.

I also think it's important when reading articles about "delaying the introduction of solids" to see what their definition of "delaying is. Almost everything I've read described "delaying" as introducing after 4-6 or 6 months. To me that's not delayed, that's the typical but I guess that's because I'm of the younger generation.
It's really crazy talking to people my parents age that talk about how they started feeding their babies solids at 2 weeks!! My mom claims I was eating just about anything they ate but in pureed form by six weeks. When people of that age comment on how happy and easy going my babies are, I always think "ya because they don't have belly aches from trying to digest all that food! "
Breastmilk may have less iron than iron-fortified cereal but it is absorbed MUCH more efficiently than the iron that is in cereal. Here is the link to the kellymom page, and a copy of the chart they use:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Quote:
The iron in breastmilk is better absorbed than that from other sources. The vitamin C and high lactose levels in breastmilk aid in iron absorption.

Iron Source

Percentage of Iron Absorbed
breastmilk
~50 - 70%
iron-fortified cow milk formula
~3 - 12%
iron-fortified soy formula
less than 1% - 7%
iron-fortified cereals
4 - 10%
cow's milk
~10%
Note: The amount of iron absorbed from any food depends greatly upon the milk source of iron (eg, human vs cow), type of iron compound in the food, the body's need for iron, and the other foods eaten at the same meal.
__________________
Tracy, CDing, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, AP parent to Emma Beth, 12-27-06
Queen City Mamas-- hand-made items for babies and mamas made locally in NC!
Stocking on the 2nd Tuesday of each month!
www.twomommasdesigns.com www.hyenacart.com/queencitymamas/
tracyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #43
luvmy2girls's Avatar
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central VA
Posts: 2,278
My Mood:
Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinsmom View Post
What cereal has that bm doesn't is iron, or so I'm told and have read. Again, to me it's not about "competing with bm" because it's not about giving solids instead of bm, it's in addition to bm and given after feeds so as not to decrease the amount of bm a baby drinks.
Babies will eat until full, so if they need- let's say- 600 kcal/day, to eat 100kcal worth of cereal, is 100 kcal less of bm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinsmom View Post
I also think it's important when reading articles about "delaying the introduction of solids" to see what their definition of "delaying is. Almost everything I've read described "delaying" as introducing after 4-6 or 6 months. To me that's not delayed
I consider delaying solids waiting until closer to 9 months, and most of the articles on kellymom suggested EBF for 6-9 months for various reasons.
__________________
Jen, Mama to 2 lovely little girls and one sweet VBAC baby boy, born naturally!
luvmy2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #44
mommy21princess's Avatar
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,877
Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

Wow, nice topic.
I waited to start my dd on solids until 6 months, at that time she only got like 2 TBSpns of solids and only ONCE a week. The ONLY reason I started was because I was tired of having ppl ask WHY we hadn't started her on solids. I chose to try to EBF for the 12months because ALL of my individual research showed that waiting was in turn better for a breastfed baby. Solids should only be a PRACTICE food during the first 12 months of life. I've only found evidence supporting that allergies are prevented if solids are offered later in life, no differently than we are to wait to give Cow milk until after 12months to help prevent belly problems.

As for when a baby is ready: I also agree that many ppl give babies food too early because One: The older generations (our parents/inlaws...) are telling us that baby should be eating by Xmonths. Two I think that many ppl think they're babies are ready to eat because they watch intensly well I disagree with this. Many babies are simply mimicing what they see. If you smoke a toddler will ACT like it's smoking, my dd constanty feeds babies with bottles even though she's NEVER had one but she has seen it done by others. Our babies are learning something everyday and they are watching what we do. I think that if we were playing with fire they'd wanna do that too because it's something WE do not because they are physically ready for it. Babies are smart but we are parents and we need to be the ones to decide when the baby REALLY needs the extra food.

As for those who started early and didn't run into problems with bfing that's GREAT, for us though if I wouldv'e let my dd have food all the time she would've and wouldn't have continued nursing, she LOVES to eat even now as a toddler that's all she thinks about. I feel like I did what was best for HER by waiting to start her on solids and give her the stuff I knew was best for her.

As for EBF I think most of the time it does me exclusive bf with NOTHING else but it can also mean as the only source of drink. My dd had nothing else to drink except a tiny bit of water until after a year and still hasn't had cow milk except for in her cereal at 2 years.
__________________
CHRISTmas Cards for EVERYONE!! Get them HERE and FAST!!
*I've made lots of DS mommas happy check out my Feedback!! I can do ANY custom design and work on ANY kind of pictures!!
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #45
luvmy2girls's Avatar
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central VA
Posts: 2,278
My Mood:
Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy21princess View Post
.

As for when a baby is ready: I also agree that many ppl give babies food too early because One: The older generations (our parents/inlaws...) are telling us that baby should be eating by Xmonths. Two I think that many ppl think they're babies are ready to eat because they watch intensly well I disagree with this. Many babies are simply mimicing what they see. If you smoke a toddler will ACT like it's smoking, my dd constanty feeds babies with bottles even though she's NEVER had one but she has seen it done by others. Our babies are learning something everyday and they are watching what we do. I think that if we were playing with fire they'd wanna do that too because it's something WE do not because they are physically ready for it. Babies are smart but we are parents and we need to be the ones to decide when the baby REALLY needs the extra food.

I love when everyone says, s/he was watching and grabbing food from my plate, so I knew they were ready. I'm thinking, if they were grabbing your beer would you let them have that, too???
__________________
Jen, Mama to 2 lovely little girls and one sweet VBAC baby boy, born naturally!
luvmy2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #46
mcpforever's Avatar
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bama
Posts: 11,738
My Mood:
Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2girls View Post

I love when everyone says, s/he was watching and grabbing food from my plate, so I knew they were ready. I'm thinking, if they were grabbing your beer would you let them have that, too???
No, we wouldn't. Instead we would give them something "developmentally appropriate" that their immature systems could handle. I know lots of toddlers who like to cook, but obviously should NOT be around a real hot stove. So what do we give them? PLAY kitchens to practice with. Safe, developmentally appropriate. If there is something out there that a baby wants to imitate, you can find a toy that will "enable" them. (Or they just make up their own!)
It's more than just watching and grabbing, it's sitting, crawling, loss of tongue thrust, etc. But they do need to be interested otherwise you are wasting your time and baby's time.
Don't anyone think I'm knocking EBF for 12 months here. I'm NOT. Everyone has their own personal reasons for what they do, and I don't dare judge someone else who has a different baby, lifestyle, etc. But I do like to learn from them.
__________________
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.