Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
shannona626
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EBF??

I started buying w/ my first pregnancy, but that did not go through. I have all of my newborn stuff, but I stopped once I miscarried. The only thing that I'm even thinking about buying is what is in my ISO. I'm just afraid it'll retire before I start buying again . Thanks for your advice, mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_n_ben View Post
I think that there seems to be so much "starting solids" yet from others that makes us think we are doing something wrong.

I remember the ped. at at 3 MONTH appt. asked if the baby was on solids. I'm like...idiot...didn't you just ask if he was breastfeed or formula and I answered Breast....duh!

We started at 6 months...but we are not consistent with it. We still puree his food....changing the consistency...

We're going on bf for a year (2 more weeks).

??? for you....are you buying your diapers now? I see that you are ttc, the best thing for me was to get knowledge ahead of time on the BF...and get a list of people to call. With my first I was all about breastfeeding only. We didn't even own a bottle! Well the first night home.....not a success...dh had to run to the store at midnight to get formula and bottles... I didn't have a support system (dh but he was just as clueless as me and just wanted me to stop crying and the baby). This time....I had bottles and I already made the decision if I could only do it part-time.....it was better than not at all. We had issues with latching...but I was able to get to a lactation consultant and it has been great!

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy21princess View Post
As for bottles, I disagree with what the above pp said heres why: Fist of all when you're going on a diet do you keep sweets around? When you're trying to stop smoking do you keep cigarrarts around? (Okay so I can't spell sorry. ) Anyway my point is, if you have formula and a baby bottle chances are MUCH higher that you're going to allow yourself to give in to them when the going gets tuff. sure bfing is hard especially in the beginning but if you add formula and bottles to the mix your BOUND to eventually NOT bf and be sucked into the formula world.
I so agree!

I NEVER had bottles or formula in the house (and never will), I never saw the need for them! Why would I when I was going to be BFing and was/am a SAHM!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
shannona626
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wouldn't bottles be good for pumping though...or is pumping bad??? I'm so clueless about this stuff...I'm so glad that I can come to you guys for all of these questions!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you want to pump and save milk then sure bottles are fine. Being a SAHM I just never pumped (besides 2 weeks ago when DD was sick and wouldnt nurse, I felt like I would explode) and I never used bottles because there was so reason to.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #15
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I pumped to donate but other than that, I didn't pump. Neither of my kids would take a bottle. So yeah, with dd we didn't even own any bottles (I started pumping when she was 7 months old...next time I'll *probably start sooner...I'd like to donate again).

Anyways, to your OQ, my ds was pretty much ebf's until just after his 2nd birthday. He was a chubby 30lbs. It was plenty for him! Totally. He has solids/texture/sensory issues...so bfing him was the ONLY way to get him calories consistently. Dd is 16 months tomorrow and still doesn't really eat any meals consistently. She grazes once n a while, but goes days without solids. She's 24lbs.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #16
AlexandZoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son gets bottles at the sitter (as I work one day per week) so I do pump for that. Mostly, he just goes where I go other than that day

That said - I love my baby dearly, but it is nice to have at least a small frozen pumped stash in case you need a break. For example, I wanted to go fabric shopping on Black Friday - my husband kept my son for a few hours so I could shop quickly and unencumbered. Also, my MIL just kept my son for about 2.5 hours last Sunday so my husband and I could go to a concert nearby. It was nice to know I would be able to sit and enjoy the show.

Those are about the only two times I have left him other than work - but they were much appreciated breaks!!!

Good luck mama-to-be!