Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
PalmyraMom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Care for intact penis

Hi ladies!

Sooooo... our little guy is just about 4 months and we didn't circumcise. I don't regret it AT ALL but I have to say that these horror stories I've been reading are making me nervous that something horrible will now happen!! I just want to be sure I'm caring for it properly.

Basically my penis care routing that sounds weird, sorry!!!

OK, let's try again. Basically, I just give it a quicky wipe when I change his diaper! I don't do baths often at all; he usually comes in the shower with me to get a quick wipe down, and that's not often. What should/can I do differently?

Advertisement

PalmyraMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
mommyoftwoboys
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Care for intact penis

I don't know much for caring for uncircumsized, but I would think you would need to make sure you're cleaning it very well, not just a quickie wipe.
I'd also check with your ped to make sure that there is nothing going on.

I had both of my kids circumsized, and with my second son, I kind of regret it, because he bled quite a bit from getting it done and was alot harder to care for than when my oldest was born. And then the skin got stuck together, and we had to have the ped pull it apart, making it bleed again.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds great- don't try to retract just basic wipe down like any other part of the body- just plain water will be fine. No worries---the body is made the way it is for a reason. Nothing bad will happen- not sure what horror stories you've herad but both my dh and ds are intact and have never had any issues
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyoftwoboys View Post
I don't know much for caring for uncircumsized, but I would think you would need to make sure you're cleaning it very well, not just a quickie wipe.
I'd also check with your ped to make sure that there is nothing going on.

I had both of my kids circumsized, and with my second son, I kind of regret it, because he bled quite a bit from getting it done and was alot harder to care for than when my oldest was born. And then the skin got stuck together, and we had to have the ped pull it apart, making it bleed again.
So sorry about your son. Shame on that ped, the adhesions should have been left alone, not re-torn. They would have separated on their own.

OP, you are doing things right. Wipe it like you would a finger (from the base out) and don't retract, that's all it needs!

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nothing special at all, just make sure whatever you do don't retract it at all!! Think of it as an eyelid, you don't pull your eyelid back and wash your eyeball. The foreskin is designed to protect the penis and keep it clean, just a quick wash with soap and water on the outside just like you would wash the rest of his body is just fine.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
maryjane
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post
Nothing special at all, just make sure whatever you do don't retract it at all!! Think of it as an eyelid, you don't pull your eyelid back and wash your eyeball. The foreskin is designed to protect the penis and keep it clean, just a quick wash with soap and water on the outside just like you would wash the rest of his body is just fine.
Yep, don't do anything special to it. It's the circumcised penis that requires special care until it heals. Intact penises are just like any other body part. Doctors used to tell moms to retract it which can cause all sorts of issues like infections and adhesions. Sounds like you got it down.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with other mamas (nothing special needed), but just wanted to reiterate DO NOT RETRACT, and do not allow anyone else to do so like another person who changes his diaper or a doctor.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
PalmyraMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post
Think of it as an eyelid, you don't pull your eyelid back and wash your eyeball.
Hmmm.... never thought of it that way!!!!

Someone else mentioned telling others... true he isn't around many other besides DH and I, but that is soooo true!!! I didn't think about it!!! Especially my dear mother, who despises all things crunchy (which I would never have termed myself but compared to her...). She is the spiteful type to do that... (Sounds sad and scary but true.)

So far I haven't noticed anything odd... any signs to watch for? Oh, he leaks. Like, I'll be changing him and notice a drop coming out... is that normal? My paranoid brain has him with prostate cancer...

THANKS mamas!!!
PalmyraMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmyraMom View Post
Hmmm.... never thought of it that way!!!!

Someone else mentioned telling others... true he isn't around many other besides DH and I, but that is soooo true!!! I didn't think about it!!! Especially my dear mother, who despises all things crunchy (which I would never have termed myself but compared to her...). She is the spiteful type to do that... (Sounds sad and scary but true.)

So far I haven't noticed anything odd... any signs to watch for? Oh, he leaks. Like, I'll be changing him and notice a drop coming out... is that normal? My paranoid brain has him with prostate cancer...

THANKS mamas!!!
Definitely inform ANYONE who will have contact with his penis (doctor, anyone who might change him) not to retract. It can happen so quickly, and is very painful for a baby (signs afterwards would be redness, bleeding, soreness).

It's normal to see a drop come out - my DS often looks like he's got urine/water in there - I think its just because of the extra skin, a bit can get left behind after he pees.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote