Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Weaning off the pump at work

So, my DD is now over a year old. My supply has been slowly dropping for the last 5 months, and over the past month I have only been able to pump a total of 3 oz for a full 8 hour workday. It has been such a disappointment to spend an hour and a half on the pump for 3 ounces. So, after testing her dairy-tolerance and soy-tolerance, we discovered that she can do cow's milk. I made the leap this week to start cutting out my pumping at work and allow her to have cow's milk and rice milk while I am away at work. My freezer stash won't last forever, afterall.

It is such a HARD thing to do! Really, I have hated pumping since day one and never expected to hate giving it up, but I feel really conflicted! There are so many reasons why I'm going to stop pumping, and I believe that it is the right thing to do but my emotions and hormones are WAY argumentative! I get all jittery after 4 hours and start to just CRAVE DD so that she can nurse. Is this nuts? I can go 6 hours just fine if we're together and she doesn't want to nurse!

DD still loves to nurse when we are together, which is mornings, late afternoons/evenings, and three full days/nights a week. I only work 30 hours a week. I really do hope to keep enough milk to keep nursing her when we're together for at least another year. I don't want to end up weaning her all-together just because I stop pumping at work.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Nancy In love with my DH since 2003, mama to one fabulous kindergartener and one amazing preschooler.
My Ravelry My blog
blossomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Weaning off the pump at work

I'm right there with you. I stopped pumping at 14 mos. I miss my down time to pump though. Neil is happy having 1 milk bottle so all is well.
annanicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
My Mood:
Re: Weaning off the pump at work

Ben will be a year on the 22nd and I haven't pumped in several days (at work). I have the time, I just didn't do it.

I'm off to pump now....he does still drink the bottle I pump in the morning and the one from the day I better go pump.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote