Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #21
Diaper Change
Time for a Diaper Change
seller

My Mood:
Re: We got "fired" from our ped today

Yeah your better off. And I agree w/pp that he quit! Now that being said I know it's really difficult to find a doctor that 1)accepts your medical plan and 2) is understanding on your POV.
I don't much care for my children's ped but I rarely see her. Generally I make apts with the Nurse Practitioner. I LOVE HER! She is way more understanding and even has helped in communicating with the ped( regarding delaying her vacc)
I love love love her...if she wasn't there I'd probably be scrambling to find another doc too!

Advertisement

"It's time for a Diaper Change"
Diaper Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #22
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would send him a Thank You card!! Tell him you just didn't know how to break it to him but he was really cramping your style!

I have never been one to bite my tongue when it comes to my parenting choices, I'M the parent. My Ped isn't always the most "up to date" on info and I've been more than happy to share the info I've found with her. When my 4th DS ended up with breastmilk jaundice her answer was formula. It worked, but it also stopped us from EBFing at 6wks and ruined our whole pattern in 4 days and that lazy baby was NOT going back to the breast. I was sad, he was happy and dh didn't understand what the big deal was. I had very little support and formula was free from WIC so WTH... Later my research said that you DON'T have to stop BFing, jaundice ISN'T deadly or harmful at his levels and she was just jumping the gun and worried an anxious mommy and doing what dr's do best, made "the illness" go away.
With my next DS I was much better prepared but at 1yr she suggested we turn DS from RF to FF.... I had to sit back down for that one and told her all about the controversy and the info and the YouTube videos and she said that as long as his carseat was accomidating that it was fine. Well DUH! But how many OTHER people did she advise on a daily basis to FF?? It was a little frusterating. I also ask her about EVERY vax, EVERY Rx if the kids are sick, EVERYTHING... she knows now to explain things before I have to ask. It's nice, but I wish she was a little more clued in.

I would definatly look for a more up to date Ped in your area (or even 30+ mins away if you have to! ) because having someone on the same page as you is VERY important!! You shouldn't feel weird or uncomfortable in their office! You should feel welcome! Sorry you're dealing with this!!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #23
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You mamas are GREAT
I am luckily a part of a local AP parenting group and found another ped that a couple of the moms go to. He sounds much more our speed. So it does sound like for the best!

I love the idea to send him a thank you note!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #24
wyldblueangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What test do they make you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Poist View Post
We interviewed several pediatricians while pregnant to make sure we found one that fit our views and lifestyle but also had the best interest of our child at heart.
As for vaccines, depending on the state you live in (California here) the "rules" are different and in some cases put the MD at risk for not adhereing to them. We also had 27 different tests done on our son at birth due to California regulation. We didn't have a choice about the tests BUT we did have a choice in how they were done and when.

Our pediatrician took a month to "understand" cloth diaper covers (cracked me up the first time he saw one) and to understand my concerns about vaccines and antibiotics. He is however VERY PRO-BREASTFEEDING after 12+ months of breast feeding my son is incredibly healthy. Pediatrician agreed that his immune system was good enough that my son didn't need flu or variacella at the time. He does push but I push back with the understanding he is trying to do what is best.

Check out my Ebay Feedback
wyldblueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #25
maryjane
Registered Users

All I can say is you are better off without him. It took until my 3rd child was born to find a pediatrician I was comfortable with and who supported my views. He doesn't always agree but he supports me 100%. My ob/gyn is the same way. Both my ped and my ob encourage doing your own research and being an informed consumer of healthcare. They welcome questions and I couldn't imagine not having them as our doctors. I selectively vax and my ped actually supports that. His nurses sometimes put up a fight but he just tells them to relax. Assisted homebirth is illegal in GA so we were going to do an unassisted at home with our last pg (no flaming please). My dr supported me in that. He said he felt confident in our ability, I'd had 5 children, he'd been there at every one and he felt like it would be safe and he would do our prenatal care and do what he could to help out. Of course then I found out we were having twins and our homebirth plans went out the window. But, my point is, that you can find doctors, even mainstream doctors who are openminded and supportive of your parenting style.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #26
maryjane
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
I would send him a Thank You card!! Tell him you just didn't know how to break it to him but he was really cramping your style!

I have never been one to bite my tongue when it comes to my parenting choices, I'M the parent. My Ped isn't always the most "up to date" on info and I've been more than happy to share the info I've found with her. When my 4th DS ended up with breastmilk jaundice her answer was formula. It worked, but it also stopped us from EBFing at 6wks and ruined our whole pattern in 4 days and that lazy baby was NOT going back to the breast. I was sad, he was happy and dh didn't understand what the big deal was. I had very little support and formula was free from WIC so WTH... Later my research said that you DON'T have to stop BFing, jaundice ISN'T deadly or harmful at his levels and she was just jumping the gun and worried an anxious mommy and doing what dr's do best, made "the illness" go away.
With my next DS I was much better prepared but at 1yr she suggested we turn DS from RF to FF.... I had to sit back down for that one and told her all about the controversy and the info and the YouTube videos and she said that as long as his carseat was accomidating that it was fine. Well DUH! But how many OTHER people did she advise on a daily basis to FF?? It was a little frusterating. I also ask her about EVERY vax, EVERY Rx if the kids are sick, EVERYTHING... she knows now to explain things before I have to ask. It's nice, but I wish she was a little more clued in.

I would definatly look for a more up to date Ped in your area (or even 30+ mins away if you have to! ) because having someone on the same page as you is VERY important!! You shouldn't feel weird or uncomfortable in their office! You should feel welcome! Sorry you're dealing with this!!
Wow, my 4th dd had breastmilk jaundice. She was in the NICU for 9 days but she only got breastmilk even there. I produce like a cow. The neonatologist wanted to keep her longer because of her jaundice but the NICU nurses talked him into releasing her since I had 3 other kids at home and obviously knew what I was doing. So, I had to take her back to the pediatrician every few days to check her and the ped in my drs office not even the one I usually see said oh, she just has breastmilk jaundice, it's not dangerous but it could last the entire time she's breastfeeding. He said some doctors freak about it but it's normal. He explained it all to me. Told me what signs to look for that could indicate something more serious and sent us on our way.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #27
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

whoa!! that is wierd LOL
i dont even see my ped too often, this is a new one since we move here. only seen him once for his wellness check
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #28
amrijane128
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I'd let it go. Sounds like you and your LO are better off without that practice anyways. Good luck finding someone more suited to your views!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #29
the1stkatlife
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know how you feel! You know things that other people don't know, and you want to share your knowledge so that they can benefit!
I'm the same way. And once I tell someone something new, 90 percent of someones think that I am weird. The other 10 percent are grateful that I said something (usually at a later time, after they have had time to think about it or do some research!)
And I, too, sometimes offend people with my questioning or opinions. So I've learned a few tricks to help prevent offense being taken. But I wouldn't use these tricks on my doctor. He or she needs to know exactly how I feel about things in order to give my family the care is correct for us. Health and medical care are not things to mess around with, we as parents have to make sure that it is done right!

Pleased to be a homebirthing, breastfeeding, clothdiapering, cosleeping, babywearing, homeschooling, organic-eating, natural momma for over 13 years...and still going!
the1stkatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #30
maryjane
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1stkatlife View Post
I know how you feel! You know things that other people don't know, and you want to share your knowledge so that they can benefit!
I'm the same way. And once I tell someone something new, 90 percent of someones think that I am weird. The other 10 percent are grateful that I said something (usually at a later time, after they have had time to think about it or do some research!)
And I, too, sometimes offend people with my questioning or opinions. So I've learned a few tricks to help prevent offense being taken. But I wouldn't use these tricks on my doctor. He or she needs to know exactly how I feel about things in order to give my family the care is correct for us. Health and medical care are not things to mess around with, we as parents have to make sure that it is done right!
I prefer to find doctors that encourage their patients to question everything and to inform themselves about their healthcare. My doctor loves it when I say well, maybe, but I read an article the other day that mentioned trying such and such to treat that. Either it's something he has heard of but hadn't thought about or he hasn't heard of it and he will want to know more. But my doctors actually like that I challenge them and look for simpler solutions to problems. It makes me an active part of the process.