Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Users
Baby passports

We finally got our official copy of Oscar's birth certificate yesterday and I started to fill out the paperwork to order him a US Passport. But when I got to the physical description part, I was stuck. They want to know his height (he's 26 inches long, so I guess I can just say he's 2'2") and his eye color (which we're fairly certain will stay blue...but you never know) but the real stumper is "Hair Color." Wellllll, he's mostly bald, actually. What little peach fuzz he does have is sort of blonde. And he'll probably be a blonde little kid, if family history is any indicator. But, once his "real" hair comes in, it's gonna be brown. His daddy has brown hair. His mommy has brown hair. He's destined to be a brunette too.

But what do I put on his passport? Do I just say "bald" since that's what he is right now? Or "blonde" because he'll probably be blonde for the first year or two? Or "brown" in anticipation of what he's eventually going to have?

Or does it even matter? Its all so ridiculous, when you think about it. The picture in his passport is going to be of a three month old infant for the next five years. Its not like any of the physical identifiers in that thing are going to be terribly accurate after another year anyway.

Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Baby passports

I hear ya! I applied for DS's US passport when he was 4 months old and growing like a stinking weed! For his height, I used his height he was at the time the day I applied and I put it in feet/inches format (I know . . . 2'4" looks so funny compared to 28inches). I didn't have the hair problem b/c DS had a whole head of hair. However, the passport is valid for only 5 years and you can always change that information when you renew it when it expires.

It is kind of ridiculous, eh?! DS is almost 5 now (have to renew his US passport next year) and he looks NOTHING like his passport photo anymore. Same with his Canadian citizenship card . . . he was approx. 6 months old when that pic was taken (and there is no expiry date on that . . . that I'm aware of). But they still accept both as proper identification at both sides of the border so whatever! *shrug*
SAHM to the dude (03/03) and missy (06/05) and with #3 (mid-May 08)
dacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Registered Users

My boys were born in Korea and we had to have a passport within something like 30 or 60 days after they were born. I am pretty sure I just went with their current measurements and colors because I couldn't guess for sure what they were going to turn out to be.
Susan-SAHM to J&A (6yrs), K (4yrs) and R (born 8-28-12).
My used items for sale: *Diapers, covers, fleece & wool**Babycarriers*
susnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Just go by what is current and for hair put blonde. They will be able to see in the pic it is blonde peach fuzz/bald lol. Like PP said it is only good for 5 years.
BTW don't know where you are getting the pics done but call ahead and make sure someone that had done infants before is there. I used to work at Wal-Mart Portrait Studios and I was one of the few that could actually do infant ones including a 6 week old one lol. That was the hardest. If you want some tips so you can give them to the person doing it feel free to pm me.
Proud Single Mommy of: 1 & 9 angels in heaven. Swags
I will not change my belief's, actions, parenting style, etc just because it offends you! I won't be offended by your belief's, actions, parenting style, etc either. ISO Goodnites Coupons
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote