Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Monzie
Registered Users

Could this be thrush??

I was noticing tonight that the back of my tongue felt swollen and sore. I'm not feeling ill in any other way, just a sort of dull ache in the back of my throat when I yawn or swallow. I've had a history of bad tonsils so I was worried I might be coming down with strep throat, but I have none of the other symptoms. Just out of curiosity, I checked my mouth in the bathroom mirror and was shocked to see that the back of my tongue is yellow! Two distinct areas of bright yellow on either side of the back third of my tongue...

I haven't eaten anything lately that would turn my tongue a funny color. But it looks like I've been sucking on a yellow popsicle or something.

So, could it be thrush?? I've been reading about the possible symptoms but they say I should be looking for cheesy white patches, not yellow. I had pink eye last week and have been using antibiotic eyedrops. And I know that the stuff eventually ends up dripping onto my tongue because I can taste it. So that could be to blame for my problem. I also had some dental work done last week (prep work for a new crown) and who knows what kind of gunk was floating around my mouth then.

The baby seems fine. No lesions in his mouth, at least. He's got a few red spots in the diaper area that I attributed to general rashiness, but now I see that thrush can cause diaper rash too. And he's been pulling off the boob a lot lately (another possible thrush symptom). But he doesn't seem uncomfortable nursing, just distracted. Oh, and I've had phantom boob pain a few times in the past week. Nothing major. A bit like being poked in the nipple with a dull knitting needle or something. I thought that was just my hyper let-down, though. But now I see that shooting pains can be caused by thrush too. Argh!

Does any of this sound like thrush to you mommas? Anyone else here ever had a yellow tongue??

Crap. I guess I'll call the clinic tomorrow morning but with the holidays coming up and my husband out of town until Friday night, I don't have time to deal with this weirdness.

Advertisement

Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote