Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's The Earliest You Can Give A Bottle?

We introduced a bottle around 2 weeks with ds and had absolutely no issues with nipple confusion. As long as your lo is nursing well, you shouldn't have any problems.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #12
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

2 weeks a bottle once a day for us. No confusion.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 AM   #13
jabba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my latest... as soon as my milk came in, I pumped. Not because I had to -- but big sister, big brother, and Daddy all wanted a turn. So within the first 2 weeks, DD had 3 bottles. (Then 2 more in the next 4 months.) The rest was all straight from the tap, no confusion.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you just need to read your kid. My first had no issues going between the two. My 2nd outright refused to nurse after 5 months because of getting a bottle once a week (and because of my frustration with her violence at the breast, gave up too quickly...shoulda made her suck it up and cut bottles out completely).

My 3rd is a fabulous nurser but I know that if I started giving her bottles regularly at all, she would also start refusing to nurse.

Give the baby a bottle and gauge his interest in the breast at the next feeding. Just pay attention...if he starts to get fussy at the breast, its time to lay off of the bottles for at least a week.

Nipple confusion sucks.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, every baby is different. We had to bottle feed during the first week because DD lost a lb in a week. We didn't have any nipply confusion issues (she actually wanted to latch and prefered the boob, but didn't know how), but I was so afraid of nipple confusion that we didn't try getting her on a bottle again until 6 wks (had to go back to work at 12 weeks). Well, she just REFUSED. She hated the bottle. It was really rough on DH (I loved it cause I got a break and would go outside) and on daycare at first. She is now 6.5 months and still doesn't eat much at daycare.

But, try a bottle. If she seems to be having trouble latching afterwards, maybe back off the bottle until she gets older. Our only issue is that, IMO, we waited too long and had a rough time getting her to feel the bottle love.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #16
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had latch issues from the get go, so I had to use bottles...Advent kind. It took him a week to latch on, and he's been fine since. He had to take the bottle...I went back to work at 6 weeks...and yes, we are about to hit the one year mark!

He prefers straight from the tap...but he's had no nipple confusion. Well sometimes he tries to latch to my gut...but what's that about???? LOL!!!!

Deb
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #17
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was a switching champ. She could go straight from a boob to a bottle and back without a blink of an eye and we started giving her a bottle within the first week(of pumped milk)...

However DS, had a bottle and decided he liked that much better then the breast..and we had latch issues for a long time. He's 9 1/2 months old now and we are still nursing thank goodness my mother is a LC..both my kids have loved paci's too..

I say feel it out. Try a bottle...next time you nurse, if he's getting you a rough time, then go back to the breast only for another week or so...

And what nice is you aren't gone too long. So, maybe you can feed him right before you go and then who knows? Maybe he won't need a feeding till you get back...I know your breasts would appreciate an emptying after 4 hours..haha..