Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
jabba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
supplementing BM for a friend... does age matter?

Since milk changes as the baby grows... If I donate milk to a friend to supplement her baby, how much does the age difference matter? My DD is 4.5 months, friend's DS was born this week.

Advertisement

jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: supplementing BM for a friend... does age matter?

The closer in age they are, the better - but if it is for supplementing then she is getting most from her mom anyway Also, it is always better than formula - even if the ages are different
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:33 AM   #3
BooBooKisses Momma
Banned
seller

I agree with the pp, and wanted to say if the mom was able to mix half hers and half yours? don't know the situation, if she's nursing or pumping and bottle feeding............its a great thing you're doing!
BooBooKisses Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #4
kimmyjling
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for you! You are a great friend!!

I don't have a professional opinion on this, but I would say it doesnt matter. Think of newborn babies who are given formula from the moment they are born-and drink that same formula until they bottle wean. No difference in that mix-and breastmilk is best!
kimmyjling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't matter. As babies age, their mom's milk actually increases in fat, but that isn't going to hurt the wee one. Not to mention you're not really talking about a huge difference -- but it would be fine if you were nursing a 3 year old as well.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
jabba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Mamas!
I hope she won't even need the milk, but she's young (19) and nervous and scared.... and I'm pumping for a milk bank so I just happen to have a freezer full of the good stuff.
I keep telling her that most of the time it works just fine, and that her baby and her body know what to do. (I watched his latch last night and he looks fine.) But "They" were telling her she may need to supplement. She's very anti-formula, but not confident in her nursing.... and she's frustrated that when she tried to pump she got nothing. (Her milk just came in 2 days ago!)
So she's relieved to have a "backup" supply if needed. I just wanted to make sure it's all ok.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Definitely -- and wonderful of you!

Please tell her pumping output doesn't mean anything as far as how much milk she's making. I was one of those women who had 5 letdown streams that would literally go 3 or 4 feet.... and I could not get a single oz with a pump. Manual OR electric. Seriously. Some women just respond better to pumps than others -- and especially in the early days. Breasts are meant to respond to babies, not plastic machinery. Tell her to hang in there!

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
jabba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post
Definitely -- and wonderful of you!

Please tell her pumping output doesn't mean anything as far as how much milk she's making. I was one of those women who had 5 letdown streams that would literally go 3 or 4 feet.... and I could not get a single oz with a pump. Manual OR electric. Seriously. Some women just respond better to pumps than others -- and especially in the early days. Breasts are meant to respond to babies, not plastic machinery. Tell her to hang in there!
I stink at pumping too, but I know I make milk... I'm on my 3rd BF baby (and my 2nd one never lost so much as an ounce after birth) The only way I'm able to get anything when I pump is to do it first thing in the morning (after DD's 10 hour sleep) while she's nursing on the other side. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

my son is 5 mos and we donate my extra to a (I think ) 10 mos old...she is doing wonderfully with my milk for supplementing....now if only those coolers would get here so I could get the next shipment out....
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm pumping for a friend's premie, also just for supplementation. And my daughter is a year. She talked to her doctor and he said it would've been better if they were closer in age, but that breastmilk is yards better than formula anyway.