Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When do you know you don't have enough milk?-Update

So I'm 11.5 weeks pg and trying to figure out if I am starving DD (7.5 months old) to death.
I'm not feeling much of a let down these days.
She olny swallows for a minute or two.
When I pump, I always get less than an ounce-and that's with both sides added together.
DD wants to nurse all the time.
DD wants to nurse all night long.
Sometimes I don't hear any swallowing when she nurses.
She can't seem to get enough solids. (I limit it so that she will not fill up on them, but she still seems hungry.)
This afternoon she nursed back and forth for an hour and I never got the impression she was actually getting anything.
I gave her some diluted juice and she was finally happy.
What do I do?

So I've been watching her diapers...get drier and less frequent...even with increased nursing, eating oatmeal every day, drinking enough for a thirsty camel in the desert, etc. I am gaining weight, so I'm sure I'm getting plenty of calories. The "girls" just aren't cooperating! So we've started giving her a single 4 oz bottle of formula in the evenings when she seems the most hungry. She will drink it down and still ask to nurse. I think more for comfort, but I am AOK with that. Right now it seems that we have achieved a balance as she still wants to nurse just as frequently but is wetting more and not acting like she's starving all the time. I sooo hope I'm doing the right thing. Thank you so much for your support! I sooo hope to tandem.

Advertisement

Last edited by mcpforever; 12-18-2007 at 06:28 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When do you know you don't have enough milk?

I'd try pumping at a normal feeding time and see how much you get out, if you aren't getting enough, you might want to suppliment b/c you are giving so many nutrients to the new baby. I ended up switching my dd to formula b/c I was starving her, we would nurse all the time, and nothing it was just getting worse, now 3months later I'm dryer than a desert!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

My dd has only been gulping for a few minutes per feeding (if that) for a loooong time now. A fast eater combined with a mommy who has a fast let down can make for some super speedy feedings! My kids certainly aren't chunky babies, but they're very healthy, active and pretty average in weight (but long). When Julia drinks from a sippy cup, she can get two or three ounces in the first 45 seconds (then she slows down).

As long as you're nursing her before feeding any solids, she's probably just fine. I wouldn't be actively trying to replace calories from milk with calories from solids at this age, but it'll gradually happen over the next several months. Once they're a year old they'll be getting less than half of their calories from milk.

Please don't worry too much! I wasted so much time worrying about my first dc, and he's healthy as a horse and twice as active! Babies are so good at letting you know what they need. If she's nursing at night, she might just be too distracted during the day to get really good feedings in. Or, she might be nursing more for comfort than anything (mine's teething really badly right now!). As much as we like sleep, I'm just letting the whole night thing ride for a few months until she's a little older and is more mobile and can self soothe better.

PS. As long as you're getting the appropriate amount of calories, you should be able to nurse and grow your baby at the same time. There's nothing wrong with giving a supplement though, IMO, if it eases your mind.

The more you nurse, the more you'll produce, is still in effect while you're pregnant. Remember when our kids were having growth spurts way back when and it felt like we didn't have enough for them? She might be going through a spurt right now and she's getting your supply up.

ETA: I nursed my ds throughout my pregnancy with Julia, and I'm hypothyroid (makes it more difficult to produce milk) and I didn't have an issue. When he needed more milk, he would nurse like a fiend!

Good luck!

Last edited by mum2James&Julia; 12-11-2007 at 01:32 PM.
mum2James&Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
oneofsix
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think nursing at night has anything to do with supply though. I nurse sometimes every hour at night and have plenty of milk. Ds just gets thirsty. Esp if you have a heater running and its dry, or they have a cold. I know I'm thirsty so I bet they are too.

I would watch her diapers, make sure she doesn't have a drastic change in wetting patterns.

Make sure she is still progressing normally. Not loosing skills.

Let down goes away after a while too, so I don't think that is any indication. I rarely feel it now, maybe once or twice a day and I have noticed that as a pattern. Over the course of nursing 7 kids I think the longest I have felt let down was 10 mos.

Pumping is never a good judge on how much milk you have. Like the pp mentioned, do it while your dd is nursing and see how much you get then. I have to pump and nurse at the same time or pump while engorged or I won't get any milk.

I had to wean my first at that age for the same reason. She was loosing weight. The worst part was that she wouldn't take a bottle. It was a terrible struggle. I have nursed through 5 other pgs it was just that one I had a problem with. But like I said she started to loose weight. She started wetting less frequently. Pooping continued on cause she was starting solids at that point. I remember nursing her for the last time and it was the sadest thing. It was just for comfort and she immediatly fell asleep in my arms. I didn't know I was gonna get to nurse so many more children, so I was so sad thinking that might have been it.

Try eating oatmeal once a day, make sure you up your water intake, like a gallon a day. Nurse her before you feed her solids, nurse on demand. I hope you can continue nursing.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for your support. I will watch her diapers and try to nurse her more often-even if she doesn't ask-she's never refused to nurse. I think it's her favorite past time.
She's not losing skills. She still seems healthy. She does seem fussier, but she's also got a tooth that just came in. (Her second top one) It's broken through but it might still be bothering her? She didn't bat an eye with her bottom teeth and her first top one wasn't much fun.
Thank you again. "I am a fountain of flowing milk..flowing milk..flowing milk.."
Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When do you know you don't have enough milk?-Update

So I've been watching her diapers...get drier and less frequent...even with increased nursing, eating oatmeal every day, drinking enough for a thirsty camel in the desert, etc. I am gaining weight, so I'm sure I'm getting plenty of calories. The "girls" just aren't cooperating! So we've started giving her a single 4 oz bottle of formula in the evenings when she seems the most hungry. She will drink it down and still ask to nurse. I think more for comfort, but I am AOK with that. Right now it seems that we have achieved a balance as she still wants to nurse just as frequently but is wetting more and not acting like she's starving all the time. I sooo hope I'm doing the right thing. Thank you so much for your support! I sooo hope to tandem.