Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
amandaleigh37
Registered Users
seller

Question washing new prefolds-question

I just bought a dozen preemie indian prefolds and a dozen infant white chinese (unbleached) prefolds... so ok, I know I have to wash them a bunch to get them ready. The instructions that came with them say to wash & dry 5-10 times. What is the best way to do this? (and would you suggest 5 times being enough, or 10? thats a lot of washing!) And can I wash both sets together, since one is white and one isn't? (Sorry if these are dumb questions!)

My baby's not due until October so I haven't washed anything yet (everything else I have is used so I should only need to wash them once right?) I have some used kissaluvs, can I wash these through in one of the cycles with the prefolds? I assume I am to use hot water, is that right?

And for covers (proraps and bummis sww)... I shouldn't have to pre-wash those right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

amandaleigh37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
amandaleigh37
Registered Users
seller

Re: washing new prefolds-question

Oh and I forgot to ask about detergent.... =/ Do I need to buy something special or can I use the stuff I normally use, which is Sun.. the cheap stuff =)
Old 08-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

You know what I did? LOL Well, I'll tell you....

A mama on here said she got a big pot like something youd cook soup in or something and boiled the water added a few squirts of Dawn dish washing soap and boiled the PFs for like 45 minutes. So, I just did that with mine and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! I didnt have to wash a million and one times. I just washed once on hot after the boiling and dryed on hot and they were ready to go!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I have heard Sun is ok, but to get them ready I would only put detergent in the first wash, they aren't dirty just need to be stripped of natural waxes. Here is how I did it to cut back on all the washes, and it worked fine for me. Yes you can wash them together, the white ones won't need as much as the unbleached but it won't hurt them either. So to wash them I boiled a big pot of water and added to the hot water wash cycle to make it extra hot, or bump up the water heater for a little while. Let them run in the hot wash cycle. After they drained I tried to catch the cycle and restart it w/o the rinse, since it is the hot water that gets rid of the build up. I had to wash mine about 7 times to finally get them to work (the indians pf that is) the white ones seem to take less ( I think 4 times for me). I didn't dry mine in between or anything. The final wash I ran the whole cycle, and a couple times I didn't catch it in time so they went through the rinse cycle too, but I was trying to conserve some water and avoid the rinse cycle.

hth. Good luck w/ you new baby and CDing, I am due w/ our next in Oct as well. I have only used PF's and love them, I hope you do too.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

forgot that you mentioned the kissaluv and covers. Yes you can wash your kissaluv in one of the washes with the rest of the diapers and no you don't need to wash the covers w/ the PF's. I hope that answers every thing for you.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
amandaleigh37
Registered Users
seller

Yes that is a big help! thanks so much =)