Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #21
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:
Re: If one more person tells me I'm starving my child...

a word of advice about that kind of advice...take it with a grain of salt mama I have family memebers too who give out their opinion as if it's highly sought after candy treats, when in fact it's simply souor grapes

just smile, and nod

(in other words,listen and walk away and do what YOU know is best anyway )

Advertisement

beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #22
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

Wow! I forgot to check my own thread! I knew you guys would understand. I was confident that I was doing the right thing, but it still makes me feel better to know that you all think so too! I'm lucky that DH is on my side and will stand up for me and say something to his family if/when the time comes. I pretty much ignore them. I know they're wrong. It would just be nice to be able to go to a family get together and have a nice time without having to get into all of my "weird" parenting decisions. BTW, I'm not that weird
Old 12-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #23
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama, honestly you are doing the best they know with science right now about breastmilk...
it fights OBESITY if EBF for at least 6mo. dd is only 2 mo old and dh wanted us to stop, why I don't know, but he then heard a news report saying that ebf for the first 6 mo fights obesity and he was then all for it? I don't know but I am definitely just going to do what I am going to do and I hope you do too, you are doing the best for your LO and I hope that your family lays off soon.
my pediatrician said, " yeah! Keep that up for about 2 years..." then went on with whatever else she was talking about. I started laughing, because she didn't say that with any of the others. she said, " you were too stressed out with the others, I wouldnt' have said that at all with them, but she is your last one and 2 years is best 1 is good."
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #24
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Yeah your family would HATE me!!!!!! My daughter was compeltely and exclusively breastfed until 11 months and didn't eat a MEAL of solids until 15 months! She nursed until 22 months and she STILL wakes at night most nights a month away from turning 3. Most nights she comes into my bed with me too!!!! Wow, ya know that breastmilk that is rapidly turning to water before your very eyes and isn't strong enough for your daughter????? Well it exclusively fed my 5lb preemie until 11months and 17lbs great!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #25
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

I got them too and my dd was still waking up at her 2nd birthday to nurse at least once a night. She was also eating full meals by that time as well as nursing when she wanted. Good luck momma, trust me the advice NEVER stops and ppl won't care about the facts! Hang in there!

ETA: We didn't start solids until 6 months and then it was only like one time a week until she turned 12months. She did snack on cheeros and things after about 10 months but only every now and then!!

Last edited by mommy21princess; 12-15-2007 at 02:04 PM.
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #26
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UGH! Try not to let them get to you, momma. You know whats best for your baby FYI: My 20mth old still nurses in the middle of the night quite often and she has a small snack before bed.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #27
laceys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There isn't only one way to do things for all babies. Every baby is different. My first was intensely interested in solids. We were able to hold him off until only 4 months. And he didn't want to bf after I go pregnant when he was 11 months. My second hasn't seemed to notice other food yet but she's only 3 months. I plan to let her guide the intro of solids. You are paying attention to your baby's cues and that is the best way to do it. There are always going to be critics. Know your stuff and tell them this is how you are going to do it. What I said to my mom, who loves to give advice, "we discussed it (meaning myself and dh) and this is what we decided we are going to do."
Also, my bf babies sleep through the night very early like 5 or 6 weeks. They just like to sleep. I do too!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #28
Quiteria
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceys View Post
There isn't only one way to do things for all babies. Every baby is different. My first was intensely interested in solids. We were able to hold him off until only 4 months. And he didn't want to bf after I go pregnant when he was 11 months. My second hasn't seemed to notice other food yet but she's only 3 months. I plan to let her guide the intro of solids. You are paying attention to your baby's cues and that is the best way to do it. There are always going to be critics. Know your stuff and tell them this is how you are going to do it. What I said to my mom, who loves to give advice, "we discussed it (meaning myself and dh) and this is what we decided we are going to do."
Also, my bf babies sleep through the night very early like 5 or 6 weeks. They just like to sleep. I do too!

That is so true. My oldest was a lot like that, but my 2nd was completely the opposite. I think the main thing is that many people don't realize that being awake longer and eating at night and so forth are variations of the norm....people assume that since *some* babies sleep through early, they must all be capable of it, and the rest of us must be doing something wrong...hence all the parenting books that tell you to let a baby cry it out after a certain age because they "aren't really hungry." *I'm* really hungry in the middle of the night, with all my calories spent on growing my babies, and I'm sure I'm past the cutoff age!

Anyway, don't mean to go off on a tangent, just reaffirming that it is about the baby's cues.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #29
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

LOL... my DS is almost the same age as your LO. He has probably had about ten bites of solid food total up to this point. Definitely not starving... he weighed at six months what DD weighed at a year and I just started ordering his large diaper stash, lol!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #30
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's irritating but just try to let it roll off your back if you can. We had a very small DD so we heard stuff like that too...from complete strangers even. You're doing great, mama!!
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote