Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
rebuilding my supply... please help!

OK here's the sitch. I had to go away for 6 days and the baby was spoiled rotten by MIL while I was away. I left more than enough expressed milk for him and he had no problems in that way. And he has no problems latching on or being interested in the breast now that Im home.

I pumped as much as was possible while away, but the circumstances were tough and i could only pump around every 6 hours with my hand pump. Needless to say the volume I pumped wasnt what he was drinking. The day before I came home I pumped 20.5 ounces, so I thought that was pretty good and my supply must not have decreased that much.

But now, in the afternoon feedings, the baby nurses a little then gets super frustrated and angry. He'll suck a few seconds, pop off and scream, then smash his face in for another try. I feel awful b/c I think it must be my supply., but Ive been trying to hang in there b/c I know my supply should rebound naturally right?!

Its been three days now and Im wondering if my decrease in production could be permanent?! my poor guy. Im taking fenugreek ... what else should i be doing?

DO I just have to wait it out a few more days?

Thanks mamas!

Kim-san: mama to Jackson 7.17.07 and expecting a Katie-bird 1.17.11
kimsansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: rebuilding my supply... please help!

My DS did this after getting a bottle because it was just easier to nurse from a bottle than from the breast. Keep at it a few days and see if it improves. I took regularin that my OB perscribed
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I had to rebuild supply after my guy had surgery and couldn't nurse. It did take a few days for him to be truly content again when he nursed, but we got there. Just stay well hydrated and let him nurse as often as you can. Try to avoid the urge to supplement!
SAHMama to three!
imamama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

oh how frusterating!! I'd say keep at it and pump after you feed your lo.. this'll stimulate you to make more. Wow I admire you away from home with only a hand pump!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote