Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Still no af 21 months & need some tips on 'gentle' weaning...

I'll be in the same boat this summer. I'll be 36 and we'd really like another child. The last one took 2 yrs to conceive and in the end I took fertility meds that I sure can't take while nursing.
My plan is just to wean gradually til it's just a before nap and before bed thing and then gradually drop those out. It'll be a slow and methodical process to reduce the stress on all of us.
I'm a bit nervous and conflicted about it, but at the end of the day, I think my son would rather have another sibling than bf til he's 3. Luckily he's a pretty easy going kid. We'll still have our snuggle times and before bed soothing rituals, they just won't involve a boob anymore.
I'm all for child led weaning when that works for the family, but there are times when the parenst need to make decisions as to what's best too. ((hugs))

Advertisement

Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle98sean02 View Post
My ds will be 21 mo on the 4th and I still havent seen AF and would LOVE o wean but he has absolutely no desire. He still nurses several times a day and every 2-3 hours at night I wopuld loe to end the night nursing but he flips if I even try to elay a feeding by a few minutes. God luck mama and if something gentle works, please let us know
WOW!! We are in the same exact shoes!! My ds nurses in this same pattern! I hear of so many just bfing for naps and bedtime, I wish it was like that for us! My child is addicted to his booby! It's so good to see someone else has an older baby that nurses this much like mine!
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #13
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle98sean02 View Post
My ds will be 21 mo on the 4th and I still havent seen AF and would LOVE o wean but he has absolutely no desire. He still nurses several times a day and every 2-3 hours at night I wopuld loe to end the night nursing but he flips if I even try to elay a feeding by a few minutes. God luck mama and if something gentle works, please let us know
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2girls View Post
Maybe you don't have to wean, you could try night-weaning first? I just night-weaned DD, she's 18 mos, and 2 weeks later I got my first PP AF.

GL finding what works for you & your LO!
Now THIS would work for me.. But HOW do I go about night weaning??? He will screech at the top of his lungs if I refuse him to nurse.. DH has to get up 5am to work... Any tips would be appreciated!!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post

Wellll, if you want to wean, I would generally recommend that you wait until spring. For one, the antibodies in your breast milk will protect your toddler from those nasty viruses that like to go around this time of year, and secondly, it is (IMO) easier to wean when you can distract your toddler. For instance, my boys NEVER want to nurse when they are playing outside! When I wanted to day wean Aydin as a young toddler (I was pregnant and couldn't take his nursing all day long anymore), I just took him outside to play a lot. I don't know what the weather is like where you are but it's easier if the weather is nice.

Also, keep lots of healthy, already prepped snacks handy. Maybe cut up fresh fruits & veggies in the morning and have them ready to pull out for your toddler when he wants to nurse. Or plan lots of hands on activities together, like play doh, puzzles, finger painting, etc. Anything to distract.

No other advice, but the above worked pretty well for me (we did not fully wean, though.) Good luck!
Thank you for these tips, I will certainly try them! Good advice to wait until spring too, I actually didn't think much about that! You are so right!

Last edited by *bamamom*; 12-26-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo correction - opps
Old 12-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
Leslieann
Registered Users
seller

I got af back at 6 weeks despite ebf I Was soooo bummed!It would have been nice to get a little reprieve. I am not sure what you can do to get it back though.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had af with my 1st dd at 14 weeks. This time it is almost 8 months and nothing. I remember, 10 years ago, that the concensus was that bf and af really didn't have a lot to do with each other. That you were actually going to have to wait for the hormones to regulate from pregnancy. But, idk, that was 10 years ago. I enjoy nusing as much as dd does so it hard for me to imagine weaning. But my 1stt dd weaned at 14 months even and that was pretty easy as her dad and I had split up an dshe was going between homes at the time. I have heard that offering soft tipped sippy's while being held in the nursing position works. Maybe that is worth a try. If lo really wants to nurse it could be a very tough road. I wish you the very best of luck with this one.

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #17
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama's! I've somehow managed to get him down to nursing just for naps and bedtime for the past two days, today will be the 3rd day... I'm finding out that when I'm sitting, this is when he wants to nurse, but as long as I'm up and busy walking etc, he doesn't try to nurse.. The times he's tried, I just have used distraction and got up to walk with him and offer him a drink and snack and it's been working!! And I've been giving him extra hugs and kisses too so he knows mama loves him! Hopefully I can stay consistent with this, it hasn't been exactly smooth sailing, and I don't get much of a break to sit and relax... Maybe in the next few days or so he will understand that we have our nursing sessions for nite nite times... Maybe once his bday is here in March, we can start to cut out the nap nursing.. then the bedtime.. If anyone else is currently trying to cut out nursings, please share how you're doing it, and how it's going..