Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Butt Rash? Are you desperate? Willing to try anything? Come inside!

Seems like there's a plethera of desperate mamas of rash-riddled babes, so I figured I'd post just once the alternative (if not odd) treatments my holistic ped has suggested. I figure that if you're frustrated enough, you'll be willing to try just about anything.

FWIW, DD has occasional bouts of horrid rashes--bright red bum w/ red sores that eventually turn into white open wounds DD's skin is really sensitive (i.e. her face breaks out from just about everything she eats) and I can relate most of her rashes to foods she's eaten, but regardless of the cause, the detergent we use (minute amts. of Allen's Naturally), our washing routine (cold soak, rinse/soak w/ TTO, 2 hot wash w/ Allen's, Rowynne's Garden laundry booster & cold rinse/double spin) we've used only homeopathic treatments and have never resorted to antibiotics. Our ped. has a list of treatments a mile long--none of which require zinc creams or meds. Want to hear them? Here we go...

-- Natural Baby Bottom Balm by Naturally Luxe (in a deodorant-like twist tube so nothing on the fingers and contains beeswax, grapeseed, meadofoam, jojoba, shea and rosehip oils, vit. E and calendula) w/ ea. diaper change
--nekkie time as much as possible (we let DD go for an hour after bathtime)
--1-2 baths/day w/ warm water and lots of epsom salts to heal wounds
--stay-dry liners in dipe, if dipe doesn't have one already (we use minkee or OBV)
--squirt bottle w/ 30 drops Solvarome (an antibacterial wash) squirted onto bum and dabbed w/ dry cloth wipe w/ ea. diaper change
--honey w/ TTO spread onto bum w/ ea. diaper change (TTO has antibacterial properties, while honey heals)
--garlic-infused oil (1/2C olive oil w/ 1 smooshed garlic clove marinated for 24 hrs.) spread on bum w/ ea. diaper change (garlic has antibacterial properties)
OR
-- Mullien Garlic Compound by Herb Pharm (olive oil extract w/ garlic, calendula, st. john's wort and mullien flowers) This is used a lot by homeopaths for ear infections, but for diaper rash can be dropped in the ears, too.
-- calendula ointment (not gel--it has a bunch of other ingredients that can cause irritation) by Boiron used in place of diaper cream at the slightest sign of redness.
-- sulphur (2-30c strength 3x/day for 3d) pellets (no joke. DD makes a miraculous near-recovery EVERY time we start these)
--during rash (or anything the body needs to fight--Winter colds, illnesses) infant probiotics (geradophilus)--we use Kasha Hope-- powder sprinkled onto food 2x/day

and finally, when the sores were really bad and we'd gone thru all of the above, then worried we might have yeast, we were given Cicatrisan ointment (have no idea what's in it beyond calendula, as it's in a foreign language) which has really helped to heal the wounds and save us from resorting to antibiotics.

Most of these things can be found at Whole Foods or online (or my peds office ) Yes, I'm aware most of these sound crazy--the garlic in the ears really threw me for a loop last time.

Anyone else have any non-traditional ideas to add?

Hope this helps a bit. I know how much it sucks to see your kid in pain from a seemingly untreatable rash.

Advertisement

Last edited by beenwaitingalongtime; 12-31-2007 at 07:17 PM.
beenwaitingalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
eandesmom
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Butt Rash? Are you desperate? Willing to try anything? Come inside!

You know, I've found breastmilk also works wonders on non-yeast diaper rashes
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
BooBooKisses Momma
Banned
seller

as a health care worker I have to tell you bacterial can grow on those twist up sticks. So after you swipe dd's bottom wipe it clean with a paper towel or clean wipe. I can't tell you how many times I explained this to other workers. They will clean up a bottom, and then pull out a type of rash cream, stick, cream, lotion and then apply it to the bottom and touch the skin with the product/ products bottle. Ick. Its how yeast is spread.
BooBooKisses Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
You know, I've found breastmilk also works wonders on non-yeast diaper rashes
Ooh! Good suggestion. It was amazing at curing DD's eye infection when she was a nb. Never tried it on her rear. There's always next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooKisses Momma View Post
as a health care worker I have to tell you bacterial can grow on those twist up sticks. So after you swipe dd's bottom wipe it clean with a paper towel or clean wipe. I can't tell you how many times I explained this to other workers. They will clean up a bottom, and then pull out a type of rash cream, stick, cream, lotion and then apply it to the bottom and touch the skin with the product/ products bottle. Ick. Its how yeast is spread.
We use a TTO solution-soaked wipe to clean after use. Good info!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
quietdusk
Registered Users

Yay for holistic remedies! I love trying natural treatments instead of antibiotics drugs and stuff...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Little Bear Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just marking this one so I can find it again...great information momma!

~ also at FRESH on the 9th on the 9s ~
blogging here --->

Little Bear Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
ckdasho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm always yammering on about aloe vera juice. That stuff works wonders!!! I use the punkin butt recipe and it clears up the redness quickly. http://www.punkinbutt.com/recipes.php
Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Dreamer
Do Not FSOT with this user~ mediation in progress
seller

My Mood:

we use a diluted witchazel to water solution and it works great! Be careful not to get too much witchazel as it can burn an open wound (alcohol) if it's not diluted enough... I use about 1 cup water and then just squirt in a little witchazel. Works WONDERS and cleans really well too!

I always make sure to wipe him off top to bottom everytime with a really saturated cloth wipe and then I pat him dry from top to bottom with some toilet paper so that he's COMPLETELY dry when his next diaper goes on. Also, some fleece irritates him (and other fleece is FINE...???)

Alayna
Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
swtang25
Registered Users
seller

Garlic is an amazing antifungal.

I don't know your ped but I love him/her.
swtang25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
momtomy3
Registered Users
Formerly: karismom
seller
seller

Will the olive oil and garlic mixture ruin dipes?