Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:
gentian violet dangerous???

After calling over a dozen pharmacies, I finally one that carried Gentian Violet (the other weren't even willing to order it for me!) - only to be told by the pharmacist that it is dangerous to use for thrush. I tried explaining to him that it is a common treatment for thrush - but he kept telling me that it was alcohol based, and that he isn't sure the type of alcohol used, and that depending in the type - it can be very dangerous to put into baby's mouth. Strongly encouraged that I get my pediatricians ok before he would feel comfortable selling it to me. Yeah, my ped will insist on seeing DS - who has no symptoms - and then prescribing a antifungal cream for us, and then I have to go visit my own doc and get it for me too. Exactly what I don't want to do.

Is he just covering his own butt, or does the type of alcohol really make that much of a difference. I am not going to be making DS drink the darn stuff, just a quick swab - besides *I* am the one with the actually symptoms, not DS. I could probably just use it on myself and continue with the GSE for DS. Or call the healthfood store back and have them order some and wait until next Wed. for it to get here. BUt I was hoping to have this under control and on teh way to being resolved by this time next week.....

What is the truth about G. violet???

Advertisement

naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Ruthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: gentian violet dangerous???

Since you use a tiny tiny amount in their mouth (I put a drop on a q-tip)and only a small part of that transfers into the baby's mouth, the amount of alcohol swallowed/absorbed is negligible. There is a possibility of allergic reaction or sensitivity to GV; there is also a possibility of the same with nystatin and diflucan and other thrush treatments. GV is as safe as anything else, and more effective. Nystatin suspensions may contain undesirable additives as well, but it's marketed specifically to pharmacies and doctors for thrush...it's profitable; whereas a bottle of GV that costs two bucks and lasts forever because it fixes the problem with 2 or 3 drops, is not profitable to anyone and is not marketed by anyone.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Ruthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

By the way Walmart carries GV. Look for it next to the bandaids in the first aid section.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It worked wonders for me when I had thrush -- way better than difulcan, etc. did.
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:
Smile Re: gentian violet dangerous???

My ds had thrush and we went to the ped and he was on nystatin for 2 weeks and still had it after all the meds were taken. My ped than had me go to Whole Foods and get Gentian Violet and she said to put it on a Q-tip and swap his mouth once a day for 5 days and that should clear it up. She also told me to do the same to me.

Within 3 days of him taking the GV we were both thrush free!

Good Luck mama. I would definitely go for the GV over the Nystatin they are going to give you at the office!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
8blessings
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldnt worry about it - sounds like propaganda to me. yep, just covering his own butt.
I got my gv at the dollar store for 2 bucks a bottle! I might go stock up on it and pass it along to other mamas. It so helped me get thru my last breast infection, whch was unidentified, not sure if it was thrush, but w/ gv, lots of nursing, lots of rest and hot compresses continuously- it cleared up! We saved a bundle by doing home care instead!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
driftymaer
Registered Users
seller

When dd and I had Thrush the thing that finally worked with the Gv-From what I understand it comes in two different types one with the alcohol and one without it-I gave my bottle to my friend, so I can't check, But I'm almost positive I found the one without the alcohol. I had to order mine also and the pharmicist had no problems getting it for me. Is there a lactation consultant available for you? The usually have a ton of good ideas for getting rid of it. Good Luck-hope it clears up quick for you.
driftymaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard that GV is a suspected carcinagen and becase of that isn't even sold in several european countries... they're that worried about it's safety. Personaly I wouldn't ever use it unless I'd already tryed all the other natural remedies (I might try it over a Rx though... I'm not sure). JMO...

~Kelsie
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote