Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #51
skueppers
Registered Users

Re: What is CLW to you ?

I think it's CLW if the mother makes no attempt to get the child to stop nursing, even if she restricts the times and places when she will allow the child to nurse once they are old enough to have a conversation about it.

So I don't think you're not part of the "Child Led Weaning" club if you tell your 3-year-old that it's not OK with you for them to nurse in the middle of JC Penney's, but you'd be happy to let them nurse once you get home/to the car/to the furniture department/whatever.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #52
skueppers
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsandbean View Post
along with the table food he was screaming for.
My son is like this, too. Absolutely SCREAMED for table food. I put it off until he was a week short of 6 months old, and then let him have solids. He greeted it like we'd been starving him. It often takes 2 adults to keep enough food in front of him if we're trying to eat our own food at the same time.

My daughter liked solids OK, but really wasn't that interested until she was about 8 1/2 months old.

Which just goes to show that kids are different. I don't think it would have been right for my son to put off solids any longer than I did.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #53
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
oh yah, you should have seen my anti-bfing, MILs face on xmas.. ummm yah...

samonia chasing me saying tittie pweeseeee, mamaaaaa tittieee... oh yah she was FLOORED, i almost peed myself laughing at the faces my mil was making...

Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #54
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I might have to give super extended breatfeeding a second consideration if for no other reason than to mess with my evil MIL
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #55
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymom View Post
your making my computer monitor all wet mama!! yah my MIL is silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinsmom View Post
I might have to give super extended breatfeeding a second consideration if for no other reason than to mess with my evil MIL
HAHA, its not my main reason for nursing samonia led style, (previously olivia led style!) but hey it is great motivation to keep going...

label aside, nursing samonia when she wants to is how we roll..
btw that is what dh just told me reading this thread over my shoulder. he is just jealous samonia sees more boobies than him

no seriously, this thread has been very very intriguing, and all of you mamas are so helpful and supportive, i love yall! calideede, you are the go to mama when it comes to extended bfing!

s/o.... and a question for you all!
how do you extended nursers, clw'rs, ect deal with your demanding toddlers? and is teaching them patience, and if you let mama _____, then you can nurse an appropriate technique for your nursing toddler?

for us, it has done wonders, samonia is understanding her role as a nursing toddler alot better, and sits on her stool in the bathroom waiting patiently for mama, or holds my pantleg while i wash dishes, ect. she is becomming quite an enjoyable toddler to nurse... ive gotta take toddler nursing pics tomorrow! its just so amazing!!
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #56
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
calideede, you are the go to mama when it comes to extended bfing!
Thanks Mama

Quote:
s/o.... and a question for you all!
how do you extended nursers, clw'rs, ect deal with your demanding toddlers? and is teaching them patience, and if you let mama _____, then you can nurse an appropriate technique for your nursing toddler?

for us, it has done wonders, samonia is understanding her role as a nursing toddler alot better, and sits on her stool in the bathroom waiting patiently for mama, or holds my pantleg while i wash dishes, ect. she is becomming quite an enjoyable toddler to nurse... ive gotta take toddler nursing pics tomorrow! its just so amazing!!
I havent really though of it but now thinking about it when I am going potty or in the shower Ava always says "I need nannie Mommy" lol. I always just say "Mommys almost done then you can nurse" I have never had a problem with them understanding they need to wait a minute but then again I have never put any restrictions on their nursing, they have always been able to nurse anywhere and everywhere, lol.

I love toddler nursing pics! I just took a few yesterday!

Last edited by Calideedle; 12-30-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #57
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Such a cute pic calideedle!! So nice to measure nursing in years instead of months --7 years for me adding up all the kids--and still going strong
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #58
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Diana sweet pictures. i need to take some new ones ,maybe tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #59
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #60
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsandbean View Post
This thread is so interesting to me, and I have a question for you ladies. I am not a CLWer, so be kind to my ignorance.

This was sort of discussed on another thread, but I'd love to hear the more hardcore CLW take on this (particularly calideedle's since she's the reigning expert ). My son fought nursing from 8 1/2 months on, and I mean FOUGHT. I hate bottles as well, so that was never an issue. He was being given tiny amounts of water from a cup (only water, no juice, no milk) at meal time, along with the table food he was screaming for. I even switched to nursing before meal time, and got to the point where for a few weeks I only fed him table food if he did nurse. He just didn't want to do it - I finally convinced him to continue, but he'd only nurse with his body extended straight out away from me (very funny looking), no cuddling. If I even tried to pat his head while nursing, he'd come off screaming. He liked cuddling at other times, just not during nursing.

Anyway, at 11 1/2 months, he started to fight strong again, but I really just wanted to get to a year anyway, so I kept him going on one side until then and then quit. He has *never* asked to nurse, ever ever ever. He is a ridiculously driven, strong-willed, ambitious young man and has been from his days inside my belly.

Do you mamas believe that this sort of nursing experience is because I was a very loose schedule nurser from the beginning? Or do you believe that there are babies that are just that independent? (ETA: independent meaning ready to CLW) Just curious. Thanks for helping me understand...

Oh, I never had any supply issues - I could nurse a small army, no problem.

This was my DD. We had a difficult time at the end, but I wanted to keep her going at least one year. She never asked to nurse, it was always me asking. She jumped on solids after 6 m/o, and at her first rice feeding she ate the entire bowl! She was so ready for them, but never received too much that she didn't still want to nurse before and after. She just really decided she wasn't going to nurse at the end, and it wasn't because she was receiving other things, because it turned into me giving her whole milk because she wouldn't nurse and was dehydrating! It was "Maddie, do you want milky-milk?" "No." We did good, Mama. I'd say that's CLW. I wanted to keep going, she was done. Definitely child-led.