Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
discodiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
why is my baby doing this???? Help!

ok dd is 10 weeks old she is a great eater loves to eat lol shes 13.5 pounds already but sometime lately its happening more and more I will go to nurse her and she will just cry and kick her leg and swing her arm around like she is really aggrivated! I don't know why I usually nurse her on one size, burp her change her diaper so it can't be any of that making her mad, she will literally scream sometimes and I don't know what to do because I will still need her to nurse on the side she hasn't nursed on yet ugh! anyone else had this happen i hope its just a passing phase

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: why is my baby doing this???? Help!

Maybe she's not hungry any more? My DD will only nurse on one side sometimes. Or she could have acid reflux. Does she cry a lot when you burp her? Does she cry if she spits up? Those are a few of the symptoms of acid reflux.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might have an over-active let-down. This happened to us when DS was 6-7 weeks old. LLL has some great suggestions as to help the issue work itself out. The good thing is that your supply will balance out soon and this usually helps the issue as well. HTH and GL.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
harleysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3 week old does this...Im thinking she has reflex as my other babies did as well. So I just try and be patient and put her up on my chest and let her rest and once her tummy has settled she tends to take the other side. Also making sure she isnt laying flat when nursing helps as well.
My blog:The Frugal 5
harleysheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

nursing strike. mine did it for 3 days at11 weeks and another 3 days at 12 weeks. no fun, but she snapped out of it as quickly as she sytarted doing it. we have no idea why she did it either. hang in there...it'll get better. pump if she doesn't eat so you keep up your supply.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
discodiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the feedback everyone will use the ideas you suggested, does anyone know if maybe its gas like that is why she might be kicking her legs the ways she has been? sorry its been sooo long since I have had a LO
Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
ajprosek
Registered Users

My DD hs been doing this also. SHe's 11 weeks so roughly about the same age. The letdown thing is part of it. She chokes and sputters occasionally, the "yells at the boob" as my husband calls it. Sometimes she will calm down and finish eating, other times you have to fight the flaying arms and legs and if you can get the nipple to her mouth, she'll eat. We go through cycles of this now and again. She's been doing it off and on since 8 weeks. It's frustrating and she's my first, at you aren't alone out there.
ajprosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Very likely a letdown issue -- at that age sometimes they have trouble keeping up. If it is happening at nightime, it might also be the reverse -- that she's used to a faster flow than she gets in the evenings. Just hang in there. If you think it might be a fast flow issue, try keeping her above your breast level wise, that will help.

That's really too young for a true nursing strike -- if they fully refuse at that age without it being caused by nipple preference, etc, I'd call it more of a feeding aversion than a nursing strike. Nursing strikes are usually caused by external things like a mom accidentally yelping when the babe bites her and it upsetting the child, teething, etc.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
discodiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok what really confuses me about what she is doing is she is crying/fussing before I even get her latched on side number 2???? I guess she could not be hungry for the second side but I always thought they needed to nurse on both sides at every feeding
Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Jessmomto2
Registered Users
seller

It is perfectly okay for them to only nurse on one side per feeding. This will actually help them get more hindmilk, assuming they are staying on the first breast long enough.
Jessmomto2 is offline   Reply With Quote