Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:19 AM   #11
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your homebirth that went wrong...

I didn't have a HB - but was considering it because I was low risk and had an easy pregnancy. My son would not have survived a HB, so I'm glad I didn't choose a midwife or HB and decided on a Hospital. DS cord was wrapped around his neck several times and his heart would stop each time I had a contraction. (Not certain how HB would have been able to track this without the use of fetal heart monitor). He would choke everytime I pushed - they were preparing me for an emergency C-section (non-optional) when he popped out with the assistance of the Dr who used tongs. Luckily he was small - but his size was due to a blood condition which if not diagnosed soon after birth may have led to brain damage. So I am very grateful that I had the assistance of modern technology to help my son into this world.

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #12
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

This is OT, but I think it's AWESOME that you're going for the HBA2C! My last birth was a failed VBAC attempt at the hospital (in Canada, so way less interventionist than the States). Next time, I'm not going to the hospital though... no way. There were still too many restrictions and I know that's why I ended up with the 2nd c/s. to you! I'm rooting for you!!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Wow, I just realized that my last birth would fall into this category. We planned a homebirth with our last baby but my water broke at 35/36 weeks. 36 by lmp but 35 weeks by ovulation date. So the midwife was using 36 weeks in her charts but we all knew that it was really closer to 35 weeks. When I called her to say my water had broken, she said she felt it was best if I went to the hospital because every single baby she'd delivered that early ended up needing to be transported for breathing issues and just being too early. My fear of being in the hospital then caused my labor to pretty much stall out. Midwife called back several times to check in with us and asked if we were really sure on my dates because she knew my fears. Said if we were sure, that she would come out to have the baby at home. But we'd been in the middle of a move right before I got pregnant and apart for 2 months so I knew the dates were right. I didn't want all the other kids to see the baby taken away in an ambulance after birth so we did go to the hospital. There they pushed for pitocin to speed things up because it had been too long since my water had broken they said. But since I was a VBAC patient, that was still preferable to me than being pushed for a c-section. We had the perfect nurse who actually worked as a doula on the side and was very supportive of homebirths and was our advocate with the rest of staff to keep things as natural as possible. I do not believe things would have gone as well with any other nurse. She sat with us and explained everything they wanted to do, reminded us we could refuse anything, even told us the things she would refuse if in our position. She was the first hospital related person to ever support my wish to labor out of bed. Aside for the dr's constant questions about how I must not have had any prenatal care at all if I was attempting a homebirth, things went very well. Baby was born 24 hrs after my water broke, my midwife then called and made arrangements to do all the newborn testing in her office later so that we were able to be released about 12 hrs after the baby was born. He was totally healthy, no breathing issues. He did end up with mild jaundice because my milk just would not come in for days but once we solved that issue, he's been healthy. He was a tad on the small side but otherwise healthy. We do intend to go for a homebirth again if we have another child but after all of my previous hospital experiences, this birth was in some way healing for me and reaffirmed that you can actually have a good experience in a hospital. Maybe not always easy but it is possible.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
slockwood
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My hb with my first I was in labor for 48 hrs. The midwife didn't come and we weren't in a hurry for her to come since the contractions weren't really painful and they NEVER go closer than 5 minutes apart. Since not much was happening the MW decided to come and check me because I wanted to see if I was dialating. When she got here I had her check me and the baby's head was almost out. I had no clue I was that close. 2 pushes later she was out.

After that the placenta wouldn't come because I never had another contraction. FInally after much work it came out. I then hemorraged. I lost 6 cups of blood. She was finally able to get the bleeding to stop (with pitocin) and she had her hand on the phone for an ambulance but I didn't want to go the hosp. so I told her if she called 911 I wouldn't go. LOL. I wouldn't have either. She said she would give me 2 minutes for the bleeding to stop and she was calling. The bleeding stopped enough on its own from the pit that she didn't call.

My placenta was twice the size of a normal one and I had labored so long that my uterus didn't want to clamp down, which is why I hemorraghed. I guarantee that if I had been in a hospital that I would have a c-section.

I lost a lot of blood and almost had a transport. I lost the blood in a matter of seconds and she said that if the bleeding wouldn't have stopped on its own I may have not made it to the hosp. in time either. (About 4 min away).

That night after she left, I had a seizure from the blood loss. TOtally freaked out DH. First time I ever saw him cry. I got up (somehow) to try and use the bathroom. (across the hall) and by the time I got their I was so weak that I sat on the toilet and rested my head on the wall. I thought I am just going to rest. And when I "woke up" Dh was in front of me crying and the baby was laying the hallway. I thought something was wrong with the baby. He said I was shaking all over and my eyes were wide open but he couldnt' revive me. I remember none of this. Just waking up.

I was pretty weak for about a month and I couldn't lift the baby on my own because I was so weak from the blood loss. But even with the complications I would have still had her at home. I plan to have this baby at home too. I wouldn't trade having my baby at home for anything. Even though everything didnt' go quite like I hoped it was still worth it. I loved being in my house and having my baby here and not in a stupid hospital bed.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I am thinking a VBAC if I am transfered is not a possibility as the hospital doesn't allow them.
No one can legally *make* you have a c-section. They might be pissy and tell you all sorts of crap (threats, we won't deliver you, blah blah BS), but really...they can't keep the baby from coming, and can't make you sign papers for that c-section. I've been doing a lot of reading up...already gearing up for a VBAC, and we're not even TTC.

You can do it, mama.

Allison - mama to Olivia and baby Nora my Valentine's day VBAC!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=alyrie;2418730] I've been doing a lot of reading up...already gearing up for a VBAC, and we're not even TTC.
QUOTE]

Me Too
Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
twolittlebabybiggs
Registered Users

I work L&D as a nurse, and to be honest, we get relatively few transfers to our unit from attempted HBs or post-partum HB. Now, I am not sure if it's because there aren't a lot of HBs in our area, or if thing go pretty smoothly (low-risk pregnancies, etc.) The girls we do get are usually non-emergent, but urgent. This is usually do to excess bleeding after delivery. Sometimes Mamma just nees some (extra) pitocin after delivery to help her uterus contract (especially if its baby #3 or more). But I'm pretty sure a lot of CNMs and Doulas can give it. I know that the CNMs are liscenced to give it.
I see births every day (which in our hospital is about 500 a month) so we see a lot of good, easy non-complicated births. Of course because we see SO MANY a month there are also a few complicated deliveries, never have we had an injury or death of a child or mother at our hospital, though. I say if you are low-risk, and have researched your options, your local hospital is not open to your birthplan, or non-accomidating, go for a home birth! Think of how many babies were delivered at home for centuries. Good luck, Mama!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
BooBooKisses Momma
Banned
seller

I really wanted a HB. But here in Illinois its hard to find a midwife who will do HB. (because it used to be illegal, it still might be I'm not sure.) I've only heard of one who will do it. Anyway. I hired a doula and I was on the edge about it, at home, at the hospital (no birth centers where I live) So finally I went to the hospital. I'm glad I did. I lost alot of blood after the baby was born and I needed pit to make my uterus contract and somethign else to make me stop bleeding. And then I needed monitoring because of my heart murmur.

So in the end I did not get the birth I wanted. But I lived to raise my child. I'm not sure if I had been at home with just my ex husband and my doula if they would have recognized I needed help.
BooBooKisses Momma is offline   Reply With Quote