Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Carter Everett's birth day

After having somewhat painful contractions for a few days, my water broke around 9:00am on January 1. There was no big gush of fluid - just a slow trickle all day long. I had some minor and irregular contractions that night, but went to bed at 1:30am discouraged and convinced that our baby would never move out of my womb.

I was roused from sleep shortly 6:00am by some painful contractions - after several of those, I woke Jay and told him that it was time to wake up and start timing. After only a few contractions (which were coming 3 minutes apart and were lasting a minute), we decided that it was time to get ready to head to the birth center.

We got to the birth center around 8:00am and waited for my sister to come to pick up Cooper. Once Cooper left, the midwife tried to check me but was unable to get a handle on my cervix, so I decided to get into the tub to work through the contractions. Contractions were slowed by the water, but it felt so good - I spent a lot of time in the tub. I would get out periodically for checks, and was so discouraged that the second check found me at 4-5cm. But I kept making decent progress with my cervix dilating about 1 cm an hour after that check.

Donna, the midwife, determined around 1:00pm that I wasn't making great progress in the tub - and I'll agree, I was getting very discouraged and very tired. So I got out and got into bed. She checked me and I was at 8cm. Just a few contractions after that, I was ready to push. So I pushed. And pushed and pushed and pushed. It took what felt like forever for me to be able to get his head out. When his head finally emerged, Donna noticed that his cord was wrapped around his neck, she moved to free that, but Carter was already turning to free himself. Then we delivered the rest of him - he was out!

Carter Everett was born at 1:58pm on January 2, 2008. He weighed in at 8lbs, 1oz and was 20 1/2" long. (In contrast, Cooper was 6lbs, 13 oz and was 19 1/4".)

We left the birth center around 9:00pm and came home, we've been babymooning all day today. He is nursing like a champ. When Donna came today for our home visit, Carter had actually GAINED 3 oz - weighing in at 8lbs, 4oz.

So we're doing great - thanks to all of you for all of your support and well wishes.

This is us at the birth center yesterday about 4 hours after he was born:

Wife to Jay , mom to DD Cooper (10/2004) and DS Carter (01/2008)
ScorpioGrrl75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
Re: Carter Everett's birth day

Congrats! Sounds like a great birth and he's so adorable Happy Babymoon!
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Carter Everett's birth day

He's beautiful, mama! Congrats!

get thee down, be thou funky
mommy2kb is offline   Reply With Quote