Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son is losing weight

We had the stomach flu in our house the week of Dec 16. It was a 24 hour bug and my DS got it twice that week (the week he turned 1...lucky guy).

Ever since then, he has pretty much been refusing solids and only nursing. For a week straight afterwards, he ate no solids at all. He has had diarrhea for 3 weeks now, probably mostly because he's been on bf only, but today at the Ped, he was weighed and he has lost 2 lbs (went from 22 lbs to 20lbs 2oz) and has fallen from the 50th to the 10th percentile. I can tell he's lost weight too, because we are now on the tightest snap setting on his diapers.

My Ped told me that I should not be nursing at all until after he eats some "real" food. That he can nurse if he is still hungry after he's eaten a meal. I am so upset, because I really want to nurse-on-demand, and don't want to have to force-feed my son.

Any support would be great.

Advertisement

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My son is losing weight

I think your ped is an idiot. Anything your child will eat while sick is good, breastmilk is a food. I'd gently try to ease him into solid foods again, but do NOT cut him off from booby until he eats solids! He could end up like my first DD, dehydrated and miserable. Just keep nursing him and maybe get him some pediasure to drink in between. Make solids as fun as possible. But don't deny the breast. My ped never would recommend that, she's just happy babe is getting something. Plus, he may need to be eased into solids because of being sick and possibly associating it with food. Build the trust back.
Your instincts are good. It can take a couple of months to recover from that for a LO.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My son is losing weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinab View Post
I think your ped is an idiot. Anything your child will eat while sick is good, breastmilk is a food. I'd gently try to ease him into solid foods again, but do NOT cut him off from booby until he eats solids! He could end up like my first DD, dehydrated and miserable. Just keep nursing him and maybe get him some pediasure to drink in between. Make solids as fun as possible. But don't deny the breast. My ped never would recommend that, she's just happy babe is getting something. Plus, he may need to be eased into solids because of being sick and possibly associating it with food. Build the trust back.
Your instincts are good. It can take a couple of months to recover from that for a LO.

I have never agreed with growth weight charts!! I also have a huge issue with any pedo who says to stop nursing a 1 yo. I have had so many issues with pedos saying that cosleeping, ebfing and (yes,even I was floored) cding are bad things that I have pretty much signed off of "traditional medicine." My ydd hasn't ever been to a dr. We've seen midwives and a CNP had a look at her, but no pedo. I digress.

Seriously, when someone who "practices" their career tells you give up how you live, just forget about them!! You just keep doing what yo feel is best for your ds and things will be all right in the end. Have you tried yogurt? Most kids will eat it and it is really good for unhappy tummies too. I hope all turns out well for you two! My heart goes out to you!

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote