Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Katicabogar
Registered Users

My Mood:
How do you get over the guilt?

Hi,
DD is 9 months old...today in fact...I'm still nursing her, but it's getting so hard, I have 3 other little ones....
I don't want to stop completely, and for medical reasons, she has to have a bottle of formula a day...
But I feel SOOOOOO guilty for my breastmilk not being good enough, for wanting to "give up"...this is the longest that I've nursed any of my kids.

What do I do??? My milk is starting to dry up too, so that makes it even harder for me to keep nursing.

Thanks for any help and just for listening.

Advertisement

Katicabogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you get over the guilt?

mama! I have heard that 9 months is a difficult hurdle with bfing. It was for dd and me (she also had formula). Between that and my milk getting low she began to refuse bfing and we had our last feeding when she turned 10 months. I really wanted to make it a year but it didn't work out and at the time I didn't have a supportive community like this one to turn to.

My supply dipped a bit with ds (who is just a few days younger than your lo) when he was around 4 months old...I think it was because I was sick at the time and worn down with life and parenting. I "tried" to get more rest as I could, drank more fluids, and I drank some tea that had fenugreek (I think that's how it's spelled) that I got at a health food store...you could probably find it online.

If you don't mind my asking...how often do you bf your little one currently? Ultimately you need to do what's healthiest for you and your lo and if bfing doesn't work into that then do what works...but maybe you could just bf when your other kids are asleep...like the night feeding and morning feeding?

Not trying to give any advice...just toss out ideas....
Old 01-04-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you get over the guilt?

SS mama!! I was wondering if you were pumping at all? I have heard stories of how women have restored their milk supply with pumping. Also, have you thought of mixing the formula with your milk to make the bottle. My step mom did that one with my brother. Or do you have any friends that could donate pumped milk to you? For the formula I mean. I have heard that it makes it much easier to digest.

Just remember, this is the farthest you have gone with bfing!! There is no guilt in doing your best. If you have to stop, then you have to stop. Your children will be no less loved by you will they? And who told you that your milk isn't good enough?? Shame on whomever that was!! If you aren't doing drugs or drinking excessively then there is nothing wrong with your milk mama!!

There are teas out there that can help your milk priduction too. Fenugreek is oneof the important ingredients. They are usually called mother's milk tea or milkmaid's tea and even some grocery store chains carry them now.

If you want to keep trying to nurse we are all here for you, and if you think you are done now, then we are all still here for you!! HTH and I hope everything turns out just how you want it to!!

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote