Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

Azariah, Ezariah... tell me about this name

If you've heard the name Azariah, how do you pronounce it and is it a boy, girl and gender neutral name? In my mind, it's pronounced a-ZAHR-ee-ah and sounds more like a girl's name. DH and I both like it.

Last night, DH and I were researching it on the web, which said it was a Biblical/Hebrew boy's name. Then DH found it spelled Ezariah, which seems like it would be pronounced EZ-ah-RYE-ah. With that pronunciation, I definitely see it as a masculine name, like a long version of Ezra.

So, are these two different names, two different pronunciations, a gender neutral name, or what? Does Azariah or Azaria pronounced a-ZAHR-ee-ah sound like a boy or girl name to you?

I think there is a boy on DS with a name something like Azariah, and maybe hismom will see this and give us the inside scoop.

Advertisement

aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
mommy2kb
Registered Users

Re: Azariah, Ezariah... tell me about this name

Azaria makes me think of Hank, lol. Personally, I'm not crazy about biblical names BUT I think Ezariah sounds very masculine and I think Azariah sounds neutral-feminine(ish).

get thee down, be thou funky
mommy2kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

I would think to pronounce it Az-uh-rye-uh and Ez-uh-rye-uh. I would think either one could be GN, because although they sound biblical, they aren't popular bible characters that everyone would know. (you probably couldn't get away with calling a girl Elijah--although I'm sure someone has) I think most people would pronounce them that way--"I-uh" instead of "E-uh" at the end, so keep in mind that if you want it to be "E-uh", you will be correcting a lot of strangers/teachers/etc over the years. But it's your baby, so do what you want!
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Azariah is a male name. If you took the H off of the end and made it Azaria that would be really pretty for a girl! Either would mean "helped by God". I love A names

Last edited by heluvsme; 01-03-2008 at 09:48 PM.
heluvsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think they are both pronounced almost exactly the same but one starts with the short A sound and one starts with the short E sound and I think the ending is the same in sound as the ending on Isaiah/Hezekiah etc.. (the "I-uh" sound)

Both are the names of men in the Bible

My Bible says Azariah was a descendant of David's High Priest and he became king of Judah (or one of them anyway! I think there are several!)

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Bethesda
Registered Users

I love that name. It is a male name. There's 2 main Azariah's in the Bible (besides the geneologies) one is a prophet and one is the Godly name for one of the famous Shadrack-Meshack-and Abendigo that were thrown in the firey furnace in the book of Daniel. But I always thought it's so little known that I would even consider it for a girl name, what does it matter anyways? Sounds pretty either way. 99.5% of people wouldn't even know the difference!
*Besides- I have uncles named Jan, Pat, and Cary*
Bethesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds3's middle name is Azarya (more commonly spelled Azaria/h), and is pronounced ah-zahr-yah. It is a boys name, though could be used for a girl. One of my daughters is Annaya (more commonly spelled Anaia/h), a male biblical name, but works just as well for a girl.

Azriella would be a good option for a girl.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend's son is named Azariah. She pronounces it AZ-UH-RYE-UH.

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amaryah is a good girls name, too! That is one of my lo's middle names. It means God has said or God has promised.