Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need Gentian Violet :)

Apply it to your nipples with a clean cotton swab. Do not put a used swab back into bottle because it will contaminate it. I use a paper baby wipe to clean my nips before feeding baby. Huggies brand unscented works best.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
alisha_roseleip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just put it on a Qtip and spread it around the inside of dds mouth. Make sure dc has clothes on that you do not mind getting ruined because it stains SOOO bad!! Best of Luck and know that you CAN beat it, but it may take some time!
It is not out of meanness or rudeness but it is not yours unless you ask for paypal address or you ask me to hold it for you because we are working on a deal. Asking for more pics does not mean we are in the middle of a deal
alisha_roseleip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Carly's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry...I'm subscribed but have been away from the computer!

For the GV application:

Using a clean q-tip for each nip, paint the GV on your nips, including the areola.

Spread a tiny amount of vaseline around the outside of baby's mouth...this will help prevent staining of his face. If he tends to rub his face on your boobies (mine does this), then you may want to apply it in more areas!

(2xday) Using another clean q-tip, paint inside of baby's mouth, esp. cheeks, tongue, roof of mouth with the GV. If LO refuses to hold still, you can skip this step as he will also get "dosed" by what is on your nips as long as it has just been applied.

As soon as feeding time is over, clean LO's face well with warm water and baby-friendly soap to remove GV and vaseline. Re-paint nips with GV. I used the GV anytime I saw regular skin color and after every feeding. This allowed the GV time to dry and that way my DD wasn't getting "dosed" at every feeding.

Allow nips to air-dry after each feeding (as much as possible). If you are using nursing pads, change them frequently. I actually used a prefold cloth diaper and wore a tank top with a built-in bra. I didn't have to worry about staining clothing and I have a ton of pf's so I was able to change it frequently. I also walked around topless/braless that week (my DH just shook his head everytime he came home from work ). Thrush/yeast THRIVES in a warm, moist environment, so keeping them clean & dry will speed recovery.

HTH - don't worry Mama, it does get better.
Carly's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

Wash all your bras in hot hot water w/ vinegar. I also put in a few drops of grapefruit seed extra then dried by bras in the sunshine. Although this was durrring the summer...

I also put a few drops of grapefruit seed extra in some juice and drank it 2 times a day. I did the GSE and nyastin alternating it. And I took probiotics and gave them to DS as well. We do this all the time now
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

okay - wish i'd waited to find out about the vaseline tip. She has a purple face

I have her in sposies - is that necessary? Will the ingested GV stain her dipes? Will the diaper area thrush go away with GV alone or do I have to apply the Nystatin to get rid of it?

I applies the GV to my nips and fed her. Then I am using sposie pads (gah). I have been running all of her dipes through a hot wash and even drying on hot lately so they 'should' be good to go once we get back in the cloth. I am taking the GSE in orange juice (seems alittle counterproductive, but its nasty as all nasty in water).

Its really not bad. And we've had it for a week now - I really thought it would be worse. Hopefully I can stop the GV thing soon as she seems to have an aversion to purple nurples

Thanks for helping me along my thrush journey, ladies...I'd be lost without ya'll!
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #16
janstar11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you got the GV, yay!
Ingested GV shouldn't stain the dipes but I would keep using the sposies personally, b/c you prob. don't want yeast in your dipes- although it sounds like you're taking measures against that which is good. plus with all the dipe changes and creams and purple nurples (as my DH called them) and this & that you're likely to get your dipes all stained. sposies are good for some things... like thrush...

I never applied the GV topically to my DD's bum. It's really more for getting into the gut and killing the yeast where it lives. Keep up with the nystatin and butt paste at each diaper change until the rash is gone, and then keep it up for another day. I think we only did the GV for 2-3 days and the yeast was gone, then I did an extra day with that too, to make sure.

I hope it goes away easily for you and stays away!! Nasty stuff, that thrush!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #17
Tobinnicole
Registered Users

My Mood:

Whoa hang on - you should only apply gv ONCE a day for only THREE days = three applications because gentian violet is a very strong antiseptic and will BURN your baby's mouth and since a little bit is swallowed with every application it can also irritate your babys insides. So - yes the vasaline tip is good, what my lc told me to do - and btw I am on day one of using it with my 5 week old - swab your nipple- nurse as usual swab other nip and nurse, then where ever you see pink in her mouth, swab lightly just to coat and swab yourself too. If the thrush is not gone after the third day, you should wait 7 days before applying it again.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 AM   #18
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, here's what I did: Every night before bed, for 5 nights, I applied, to my nipples, the gv with the built in applicator. Midwife and herbologist said this was fine as it is an anti infective. Then, during the day, I did three applications of edible grade aloe vera gel and I took GSE and Probiotics as well as giving Probiotic to dd. We had no more thrush in 7 days. I never had any nystatin(sp?). We used sunlight and baking soda and cornstarch baths once a day as well.

I used sposies during this time as I was unsure if I could rid of all of the thrush from my cd's.

We never worried about the purple stains, they went away when treatment was done and it was always such a different color most people knew what was going on. I actually got all of the gv washed out of my bras after like 3 washes; plus, they're bras, who's gonna see them?

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #19
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah and sorry about sending you to eBay, I couldn't find gv anywhere around here and I looked for almost 3 days before going online to get it...

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.

Last edited by Dire Wolf; 01-04-2008 at 01:35 AM. Reason: gv that is...
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All is well, ladies! I applied the GV twice...she only eats one boobie at a time so I did one app per boobie. For only one day. All of the thrush in her mouth is cleared up. Just working on the bum area now. It seems to be getting better...lots of nekkie time and coverless fitteds all day.

I feel really lucky - it was not the nightmare I have heard it can be. In fact the Dr Sears website (i think) says not to treat it at all unless you or baby are uncomfortable. In any case, the GV I got from eBay worked great (for now at least) and we are just taking it one day at a time. I am still taking the GSE (prolly will daily forever) and everyone is getting probiotics now.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote