Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
nigellas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Charlie's Powder & PUL

Quote:
Also, where does one get plain washing soda?
????

Advertisement

nigellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #12
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

Shock of all shocks, http://www.amazon.com actually carries Arm and Hammer Washing Soda!

BTW, I love Charlies liquid in my FLer. Everything gets so clean, and it our clothes and diapers just smell CLEAN. Love the stuff. Like the Charlies representative said, the liquid version has no negative effect on PUL.

And, not to argue, but I don't think that Charlies liquid is the same thing as Sensiclean. I used Sensiclean on my mama pads, and broke out in a horrible, horrible rash. I've heard that a reaction to sensiclean is not uncommon, and have never heard of a reaction to Charlies. So, washed the mama pads twice with Charlies, no more rash!

Last edited by abbycadabby; 08-24-2006 at 05:16 PM.
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #13
RedneckWoman
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
BTW, I love Charlies liquid in my FLer

Sorry I'm an idiot, but what's this?
RedneckWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

FLer = front loader. I think. Or, maybe I'm the idiot.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
RedneckWoman
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
And, not to argue, but I don't think that Charlies liquid is the same thing as Sensiclean. I used Sensiclean on my mama pads, and broke out in a horrible, horrible rash. I've heard that a reaction to sensiclean is not uncommon, and have never heard of a reaction to Charlies. So, washed the mama pads twice with Charlies, no more rash!
Okay, I think you're right but let me tell you where I got that info. I have been having terrible luck finding a detergent that works for us. So I called Charlie's yesterday and spoke with one of the people there. He swore to me that the liquids were in fact the same. So I ordered the powder because I had heard about those reactions to sensi-clean/sport-wash. Well today I see this thread and I call back and get ahold of Taylor (very nice) and he says that no they are not the same but yes the powder can have adverse effects on the waterproofing of some fabrics. He says that someone has promised to send them samples of diaper fabrics for them to do further testing on too. So I told him my concern and they are sending out the liquid today. He said they 'think' its the stuff (metasilicate) in the powder that keeps it dry as that is the only difference between the powder and liquid. So let's hope this works, as we are too sensitive to the 'grocery store available' stuff, and Allen's liquid just isn't getting my stuff clean! I looked at Allen's powder and they have a 'silicate' type ingredient in theirs too. So I wonder if Allen's powder is bad for PUL too. The only powder that doesn't have a 'silicate' in it is Country Save. And they are recommended by Bummi's also. So they are next on my to try list if Charlie's falls through.
RedneckWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #16
wmama
Registered Users
seller

FWIW, I've used nothing but Charlie's Soap on all our pockets for the past 6 months, and I don't have any leaking/wicking problems. It may differ for people with different water, but it hasn't caused a problem for us. I'm just about out though, and about to reorder--is there any reason for me *not* to order the liquid? I was going to try that this time, because I read something somewhere that made me think I might prefer the liquid, but I can't remember what that was now .
Old 08-24-2006, 07:52 PM   #17
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

Let me try to wrap my feeble preggo brain around this. There's a silicate chemical in sensiclean? The sensiclean that I used was liquid, so I don't get why they'd put it in there if it is usually used to keep powders dry. If that's true, then, the Charlies Powder would cause some sensitive skin issues, too. The liquid stuff is fine, though. No rashes.

ITA, Allen's never got our stuff clean. It left a smell on our clothes/diapers. It wasn't a horrible smell, just not a clean smell.

Redneckwoman, I really hope that you have good luck with Charlie's! I think you will.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #18
Dawnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Someone asked where to get washing soda...I buy it in the laundry aisle at the grocery store. It's in a yellow box by the bluing, calgon, & water treatment stuff. It's almost always on the top shelf at the stores I go to, and I've never had difficulty finding it.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:36 AM   #19
Ben'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good info! I haven't noticed any problems either and it's been 2 months, but now I know what to do if something should happen!
Ben'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote