Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #21
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Different type of Midwives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullhouse View Post
My CNMW was not at all OB "like". I loved her.
That is awesome! I truly believe that different states have different rules on MW. I didn't realize that until I began looking now. The CNMWs here are actually "Nurse Practioners".

Thanks for sharing! It is great learning about different people's experiences with mws.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
That's what I like, too. My MW is actually totally cool with a possible UC.
That is great mama!! I definitely need a mw who isn't afraid to transfer me if needed, but also will have the patience to let me 'really try' first. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for posting!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #23
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by namasteDE View Post
I DEF prefer a LM over a CNM BUT I have two midwives right now that work together and one is a CPM the other a CNM and you would never know the difference, the CNM is just as 'hardcore' as any cpm if not more. I LOVE having her on my team. She is amazing and I LOVE that if I DO have to transfer she works part time at the hosp and she knows who is who and what we can get away with and all the loop holes and stuff, plus she is a cool mama, we can talk babies, jam bands, shoes, anything, LOVE her. If I had to have a hosp birth I am glad that mamas are getting to have her there in the hosp. and get her knowledge.
That does sound like some awesome mws! The one that I spoke with didn't sound that 'friendly'. It was basically.. you have to fit this critera, then jump through these hoops, then do everything the hospital requires {iv, continuous monitoring, etc}.

I am now thinking that different states must have different laws that go with the different types of midwives. This is my first time living cross country and the 'rules' are so different. Some are better and some aren't. The CNMWs here though are actually "Nurse Practioners".

Anyway.. thanks for sharing! Your midwives sound totally wonderful!!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #24
kalynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

CNMW (called certified nurse-midwives here)I have been told they are like that for 2 reasons: 1) Those that start care on the right track after being in the "medical field" and Nursing school too long, become so "medically minded".
2) B/c of hospital policy, mal-practice insurance, and OB's looking of their shoulder they are very restricted or close-minded.

I use a CNMW for all my gyno needs and she gave me dual care(used a lay-MW) during my 1st birth. She knew I was havinga HB around 7 mo. but said she would just have to act dumb if asked later. W/ my second birth the doctor over her refused to continue seeing me after 20 weeks "b/c of malpractice insurance" when he saw in my record my last birth was @ home. So although she was willing to do dual-care the doctr prohibited her. Having talked to her though about birth a lot, she is for epid. and such...which I am against. She spent yrs. as a nurse and was coming from that background.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #25
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i use the CNMs currently because I want to have a waterbirth, and the ONLY way you can use the alternative birthing center in my hospital is by going with the CNMs instead of the OBs... to be honest, i liked the OB better, but i'd rather have the water birth than anything else, lol.

CPMs and freestanding birthing centers arent legal in our area, i think LMs arent legal either, So i dont have a lot of options :/
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #26
mommy2kb
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_99833 View Post
I am sorry if I am repeating anything that someone else has said, but I didn't read any of the responses. I'm lazy.

IMO and IMO only I do not think it matters what KIND of midwife you go with. It matters WHO your midwife is. I had a home birth with a CPM. She went to midwife school and was state certified, but had originally learned through apprenticeship. My friend gave birth in a birth center at the hospital with a nurse midwife. Both of us loved our births. Both of us were unsatisfied with our postpartum care. Mine was not as agressive and helpful with the special needs of my extreamly low birthweight baby. While my friend got cought up in the medical BS that they tried to shove on her because they did not understand how she could have had a perfectly healthy 1 month early baby.

I think what is best to do is figure out what it is you want from a practitioner. Then interview EVERYONE. Do not rule people out simply because of their qualifications. Some CNM might be very much in line with homebirth ideals, but you would never know because you never talked to them and a CPM might seem like the crunchy birth lovin' practitioner that you want, but is useless when it comes to those times where you NEED medical attention.

Find someone who offers you a balanced approach. Someone who is sensitive, caring, pro-your birth plan and not afraid to explore/use the "other side" be it the medical side or the homebirth/natural birth side.

Does that make any sense?

This is a super tough decision. It was really hard for me being my first baby because I did not know what I needed to want/have. I was totally in the dark. Even though I read every book I could get my hands on. This makes it hard to take charge of your care.

Good luck!
I couldn't agree more. I see an OB that is as non-intervention as they come. In fact, at my 39 week appointment we were talking about how one intervention invites another and its just a slippery slope towards a section. And then HE went on this huge rant about how women gave birth for thousands of years without intervention and how modern medicine certainly has its time and place but that childbirth is the most natural thing. Then he went on about how he got so sick of the media/our culture engendering and perpetuating fear of childbirth in the general public, but especially in young girls. This is my OB.

I told him how I'm not going to induce unless I have a medically valid reason to and he told me that was good news because he wouldn't induce me without a medically valid reason, lol. He has been so encouraging about going at it drug-free but reminds me that it doesn't make me less of a woman or a mother if I don't. He's just amazing. He explains things and asks my opinion and I would only love him more if he would just attend my birth at my house, lol.

So, all of that was just to point out that it really has more to do with the individual than it does with their credentials.

get thee down, be thou funky

Last edited by mommy2kb; 01-11-2008 at 10:46 PM.
mommy2kb is offline   Reply With Quote