Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
mommy2kb
Registered Users

Re: Give it to me straight....

You know, I know this sounds crazy but I'm not *sure* if I had a pit drip with both my births. I know for sure I had it with my first because my water broke and I wasn't contracting. And now that I think back on it, I may have had it with my second. I'm really beginning to think that maybe I could handle an unmedicated birth if I didn't have pitocin. I never really put two and two together but after hearing SO many people describe natural labor as manageable, I think maybe the reason I found labor so unbearable as to need an epi was because it was augmented by pitocin.

I'm gonna ask my doc to look in my file when I go in next week. If I can avoid pitocin then maybe I can avoid an epi?? What do you guys think?

Advertisement

get thee down, be thou funky
mommy2kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to think that you can deal with the pain without the pitocin. I would definitely find out if you had it with your other births, mommy2kb. I'd like to think that because..I was 2 cm and they start pit..I got to 3 and couldn't take it anymore! I'm planning a HB with this one..I'll have no choice..but I want to believe it'll be a lot more bearable!

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

I had pitocin, not as an induction, but to augment my first two labors. My third was born at home, and nothing hurt more than it did getting to 4cm when I got my epidurals. So for me, homebirth was less painful than my medicated births-lol.
ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
justme77
Registered Users

I agree with the other mammas here. It does hurt, but its very managable! I was in (active) labor for 16 hrs -- but one thing about natural labor.... when its over ITS OVER!! No waiting for IV's to be out, usually no stitching (or not much), and the list goes on. My suggestion = Read, Read, Read. Also, try and find a birth class outside of the hospital that focus' on natural birth. Yes, even though you've had other babes. Most natural birth classes have in class examples of ways to help manage your pain/discomfort. And a doula is an excellent idea! Best of luck mamma!

Last edited by justme77; 01-11-2008 at 10:13 PM.
justme77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #15
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mamasboys View Post
I had pitocin, not as an induction, but to augment my first two labors. My third was born at home, and nothing hurt more than it did getting to 4cm when I got my epidurals. So for me, homebirth was less painful than my medicated births-lol.
Yeah, when i had the Epi with DD it hurt so bad. I was induced with DD and was GBS pos so I was tied to the bed with IVs, couldnt even go potty so they made me have a Cath. i was so upset about that.
My birthing room had a nice HUGE birhing tub in it and I so wanted to climb in but they wouldnt let me because my MW wasnt oncall that day and the OBs didnt do the bath.

I have DH onboard all the way for whatever I decide. The more I hear from you mamas the more I think I can do it. More than likely the next baby will be the last baby (unless DH decides he wants another like he did after DD) so I would like to go out with a BANG and say that I gave it a go, and hey.... If we do have more then well... I will know I can do it.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #16
mommy2kb
Registered Users

Its a little late in the game for me but I just picked up Susan McCutcheon's book on the Bradley method as well as the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth (literally -- ran to B&N before they closed at 11!) I don't have the overwhelming urge that some women do to have an unmedicated birth, but I would like to. I just thought that since I've had two vaginal births and couldn't tolerate the pain that I was just the kind of chick that got epidurals. I'm feeling pretty sure that the reason I couldn't tolerate the pain was because I had pitocin. I know it sounds silly but what a revelation this is for me! I thought I was just a wimp.

get thee down, be thou funky

Last edited by mommy2kb; 01-11-2008 at 10:23 PM.
mommy2kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #17
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Of the the two births, my un-medicated one was the best Yes it did hurt, but the recovery was so much quicker. I had an epi with DS and I couldn't move my legs for like a half hour afterwards. I also got a spinal headache from them going in to far with the needle. I was unable to sit up straight for 2 weeks. DD was my natural birth. I was up and walking right away and had no aches or pains. I think my body thanks me for it Whatever decision you make will the right one for you and your family