Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Le Creuset & Bread Machines

Talk to me about em Why should or shouldn't I buy em? Is cuisinart a good brand for bread machine?

ETA: feel free to recommend other products if you know of better ones of course

Advertisement

Last edited by Gavin&Brent'sMommy; 08-29-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Gavin&Brent'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: Le Creuset & Bread Machines

I assume you want to talk about these two things separately (because I don't think Le Creuset makes a bread machine )?

I have a 2.5 quart Le Creuset dutch oven. Its great for long-cooking foods like soups, stews, and beans because it has really even heat distribution. I can put the pot on a back burner set to "Low" for hours and nothing burns. And, of course, it works great in the oven too.

It also weighs a TON (and mine is just a small pot....they make an 11 quart beast that weighs like 25 pounds, totally empty!). They can be a little tricky to clean because the enamel gets stained easily. You can't throw them in a dishwasher. You can't scour them with anything harsh. You need to be careful not to chip the enamel by banging them into things. They really do need a bit more love than the average pan.

But....

They're also gorgeous and will last forever if you treat them with a little TLC. And they're addictive. Once you buy one, you want another...and another....and....and.....

As for bread machines, I've had mine for more than 10 years so I can't really comment on any of the current stuff. Mine's a West Bend. Its pretty basic but it works.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we have a 9 qt oval le cruset dutch oven. it is by far my favorite piece of cookware that we own. and we have a lot of cookware! its *gorgeous*, which might sound silly, but i love cooking in it. just tonight i made roasted veggies w/chickpeas. it's fantastic for soups. i can fill the thing up and have either leftovers for days or enough to freeze. usually we go for the leftovers also good for pasta sauce, which also freezes well. yes, they are $$$$$. but if you are looking for something smaller and more affordable, target has a nice round one about 5 or 6 qts for $40. we have that one too. its great for making lentils and smaller quantities of soup. i love making soup.

as far as the staining goes, yes they stain. but baking soda takes it right off, if you care about that sort of thing. i personally choose to overlook it, but my dh will occassionally scrub it.

sorry, no advice about the bread machine. my dh used to have one, but i think its either gone or sitting in the basement somewhere.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes I meant seperately I ordered myself a cuisinart bread machine, can't wait to get it le creuset will have to wait as I know it's quite pricy lol but wanted to get opinions on it Ty!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
De-lovely
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I havent tried any myself however my sister, who is a chef LOVES her Le Creuset stuff.
Niki: single, divorced, missin' CD's, no vax, no circ, wish I coulda homeschooled, sneaker obsessed, poet, avid reading, meditating, sometimes knitting, music junkie, film enthusiast WOHmama to Emma 11/28/03, Elena 11/28/04, Quinn 4/22/06 and Cora 10/26/07...
De-lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
lilyfrog_flowers
Registered Users
seller

Le Creuset~
LOVE THEM!!!
I have two: one 4 qt and one 5 qt.
I would love to have two more, one bigger and one smaller and possibly an oval.
I have one non-brand name one and it is great as well.
I use them for soups, candy making, roasts...
The only thing that I do not care for is that if they scorch they stain. Can't bring myself to use any cleaners on them, just simmer with soapy water and call it good adds to the rusticness.
They are also GREAT for baking bread! I line with oiled parchment and put the loaf in and let it rise and then bake it right inside. Creates a beautiful loaf everytime. Got the idea from America's Test Kitchen.
I bought mine from Tuesday Morning, much cheaper than from a kitchen store, about 1/2 price. Also be careful if you get them from TJMaxx as they usually sell seconds.
Happy Cooking
B~