Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #21
pigletmsu's Avatar
pigletmsu
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 974
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2Es View Post
Actually in my state (Louisiana), LEGALLY the child has to be 4 years old AND 40 lbs in a FF child restraint. Ages 4-6 (65 lbs) have to be in a booster.
Not in Michigan. The law is so out-dated that I could probably get away with putting my 2 1/2 yr old in a backless booster.

But, what if your child hits 40 lbs before they hit 4 yrs old? My DS hit 40 lbs and 40 inches at age 3 1/4 yrs old and since I didn't know about the extended harness seats (the stores in my area didn't even start selling them until a year ago--and only 1 store at that), I put him in a high-back booster since he was too big for his carseat. My DD is 38 1/2 inches and 37 lbs at age 2 1/2. So she is definitely going to outgrow her seat before age 4 as well. Again I AM going to buy her a Radian, but for all the moms who DON'T spend alot of time online chatting with other moms who are EH-advocates (basically ALL of my friends), how would they even know about these seats if they don't live near big city stores that even sell these seats? Half the seats that people rave about on this board are not carried in ANY store in my area--I had to order my Radian online after going to EVERY baby store and not finding anything but the Britax which is too big for our car.

I guess with laws like the one your state has, the state would also need to put out brochures or info on where to buy EH carseats for kids like mine.

Advertisement

__________________
Lisa-- Married since 6/02 Mom to DS-10/03 , DD-6/05 , and DD-8/07 (so far)
pigletmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #22
House of Blue's Avatar
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,856
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletmsu View Post
but for all the moms who DON'T spend alot of time online chatting with other moms who are EH-advocates (basically ALL of my friends), how would they even know about these seats if they don't live near big city stores that even sell these seats? Half the seats that people rave about on this board are not carried in ANY store in my area--I had to order my Radian online after going to EVERY baby store and not finding anything but the Britax which is too big for our car.

So true! The only reason I know as much as I do about car seats is because I look it up on line. I'm the only person I know IRL who does extended RFing and buys their 3 1/2 year old a new harnessed seat so they can avoid moving to a booster. I spent a lot of time hunting down the car seats I have, it wasn't easy. Every time I'd ask for a seat that harnessed past 40 lbs I was told there was no such thing that I had to move to a booster at 40 lbs. I was even told this at Wal Mart by a lady standing right in front of a car seat that harnessed past 40 lbs

And although I'm considered fairly extreme to almost everyone I know as far as car seats are concerned... I'm still considered a bit of a slacker in the car seat department on mommy boards
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #23
BelovedBird's Avatar
BelovedBird
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: HOME!! Northern Israel
Posts: 1,095
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
We just got my dd a new Evenflo Triumph Delux (I think that is what it is ). It harnesses up to 50 lbs. I had my 6.5 yo sit in it to check the height and he fit great (he now weighs 48lbs and is finally going into his high back booster).
Do you mean triumph advance (or advance lx) ?
Thats what we got the baby as well.

My 6 and 8 yr. olds are in Graco turbo boosters (with the back) and my 10 (11 in feb.) yr old at over 100 lbs and about 5 ft. is in a regular seatbelt, as am I and dh.
__________________
BelovedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #24
momto3Es's Avatar
momto3Es
Registered Users
Formerly: momto2Es
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,675
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletmsu View Post
Not in Michigan. The law is so out-dated that I could probably get away with putting my 2 1/2 yr old in a backless booster.

But, what if your child hits 40 lbs before they hit 4 yrs old? My DS hit 40 lbs and 40 inches at age 3 1/4 yrs old and since I didn't know about the extended harness seats (the stores in my area didn't even start selling them until a year ago--and only 1 store at that), I put him in a high-back booster since he was too big for his carseat. My DD is 38 1/2 inches and 37 lbs at age 2 1/2. So she is definitely going to outgrow her seat before age 4 as well. Again I AM going to buy her a Radian, but for all the moms who DON'T spend alot of time online chatting with other moms who are EH-advocates (basically ALL of my friends), how would they even know about these seats if they don't live near big city stores that even sell these seats? Half the seats that people rave about on this board are not carried in ANY store in my area--I had to order my Radian online after going to EVERY baby store and not finding anything but the Britax which is too big for our car.

I guess with laws like the one your state has, the state would also need to put out brochures or info on where to buy EH carseats for kids like mine.
It's not about how much your child weighs. It's about bone structure. Your 38 lb 2.5 year old has the SAME bone structure as a 28 lb 2.5 year old.

And yes, some people DON'T know any better. But obviously some do. My job as a Child Passenger Safety Technician is to educate as many parents as I can.

People research what they want to. I didn't know about extended harnessing or extended rearfacing. Crap, 2 years ago, I'd never even heard of a CPST. But I did the research & found the seats. I lived in a city with no baby stores. I hadn't even seen a Britax seat IRL before I ordered one. I just prayed it fit in our truck when it go to us. And apparently I wasn't the only one in our small town who found them, because the new mommy group I joined had lots of Britax seats!
__________________
Suzi - CPS Tech mommy to my 3 Es - Emmit (3.19.04) & Evangeline "Evie" (2.28.06) and Emory (1.22.09)
momto3Es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #25
mom2riley's Avatar
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: We finally found the beach again!!!!
Posts: 4,573
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post
Do you mean triumph advance (or advance lx) ?
Thats what we got the baby as well.

My 6 and 8 yr. olds are in Graco turbo boosters (with the back) and my 10 (11 in feb.) yr old at over 100 lbs and about 5 ft. is in a regular seatbelt, as am I and dh.
I am sure that is the one that she is talking about.

OT: How do you like you EFTA? I am so glad to hear that all you little ones are secure in their seats.
__________________
Tonya Committed to my Soul Mate Brian and Proud Mommy To
Riley '04
Irelyn '06,
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #26
bryvaeh's Avatar
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 2,476
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

just wanted to add that it is possible to have more than 2 carseats even if it's cramped. right now we have 2 girls in FF convertible seats but when the twins are born we will have 4 in carseats in our mini-van and a booster seat when my step-daughter comes up to stay...yes we had to get a bigger vehicle for the seats but my kids are safe. i tried the other day and fit all 4 seats in - it was tight but it worked. i am glad you are asking questions because i didn't know the answer either! i know that minnesota just changed their laws on how long kids have to be in boosters but i didn't know the law for how long they have to be harnessed...so thanks!
__________________
Alli, mama to Nevaeh (2 1/2 born at 33 weeks), Bryley (1 1/2 born at 33 weeks) ^*twin angels*^, AND twin BOYS Ryder and Cannon (May 12, 2008 at 34 weeks)
Family issues - I will not be around except as needed...Please email me if you need me. Crayon testers will all be out by the end of the week
bryvaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #27
BelovedBird's Avatar
BelovedBird
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: HOME!! Northern Israel
Posts: 1,095
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
I am sure that is the one that she is talking about.

OT: How do you like you EFTA?
It is nice! I have to reinstall it though, with a towel under the front of the seat because it is "leaning" forward too far, on the seat slant. I LOVE that the harness adjust with a tug and turn of a knob. Before I was always worried that the straps weren't tight enough, or the baby was being squashed. Now he can wear as many layers as he needs and the belt adjusts to him.

Quote:
I am so glad to hear that all you little ones are secure in their seats.
Me too, thanks for your help.

Here is a pic of him in his new seat:

It is less slanted forward than that now, but I have to fix it better.
__________________
BelovedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.