Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you stop the whinning!!!

Please someone save me from the whinning. My almost 4 yr old (he will be 4 on Sat) will not stop whinning and its driving me nuts! If he doesn't get his way he will just whine and whine and whine and I can't stop him and its driving me up the wall . I don't give in because I know if I do it will be reenforcing the behavior but I cant take it anymore. Its driving dh mad too. I don't know if he is just testing us or what. I think he is a little sick but even still my 2 yr old didn't whine this much when he was much sicker than ds#3. Please save my sanity and help me stop the whinning!! I really feel like I am doing this all day long!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
rafrach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you stop the whinning!!!

don't give up! My boys go through whining phases occasionally and it drives me crazy aswell. I try very hard to ignore it; I tell them that whining will simply not get them what they want; I tell them that I cannot hear them when they whine; my husband will mimic them and that nearly always manages to turn the whine into a giggle. I also will immediately respond when they give up the whines and ask properly. It is "just a phase" - another one! - hopefully it'll pass soon.....

www.myhatty.com www.myhatty.etsy.com www.hyenacart.com/mainstreet
rafrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other responses but when DS whines (he's almost 3 1/2) I simply tell him I can't hear him when he whines. If he continues, I ignore him or leave the room. He knows why I'm leaving and will eventually come up and talk to me in a normal voice. 'See momma, I not whining'. I love it when he does that. It melts my heart!
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ughhh I have this problem too, except my lo is only 2 1/2 and I imagine that it's only going to get worse. I think for a 4 yo I would do something like this. Start the day off with a reminder that there will be no whining today. Then as the day goes on and he starts whining for something, let's say he wants icecream, make it known that he will not be getting any icecream, but continue to let the rest of the family enjoy their icecream without him. I bet it would only take one or two times of this for him to decide that whining just isn't worth it. I dunno, just a thought. Maybe someone else has another suggestion. I would sure love to hear some more.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh I need to keep an eye on this thread too. DD is 3 years old and does nothing but whine. Its almost worse than going through her terrible twos. I tell her that whining doesn't get her anything and when she's through she can start talking to me. So until then I ignore her; but then she'll either keep up at it or start crying!

I'm starting to chalk it up to her acting out b/c DD#2 will be here soon. We've been trying to prepare her for her arrival and the more we talk about it, the less enthusiastic she is...
Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make him leave the room and come back and ask for what he wants the right way. Then you need to give it to him. He'll learn to bargain with you, ask nicely and he'll get his way much faster. I realized I said no too much. No you can't have candy for breakfast! But, if I say, go in the living room and put your shoes on, then come in and ask me nicely, you can have a few M&M's. I'm giving him responsibility and rewarding good behavior. It works.
massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

whining is the ultimate way of getting on my nerves. i hate it too, makes me cringe and twitch. my boys whine too, and i have started telling them 'you are whining. stop it. use your big boy voice.' and you know what? it works!! at least half the time.