Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

babies 6 months and older

do you give them water and if you do.. how much?

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: babies 6 months and older

I give DS water on occassion, in a Nuby sippy cup. Like if we are outside on a hot day. He does really well with the sippy cup.

He doesn't get water every day, just a few times a week and usually a 1/3 of a sippy.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my kids nurse, so yes I give water. Juice is too much sugar (even 100% juice which is all we buy) so we do juice at parties or whatever. So whenever my kids learn to use a sippy I let them drink whatever water they think they need. At 6 months its a sip here and there, but around 8-12months my kids get into solids and drink water with meals etc. My toddler drinks about 16oz a day, but still nurses 6 times or more so I think he's doing fine.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

my son is 6.5 months old, and he gets the occasional drink of water. he really enjoys trying to drink it from a glass, and a couple of times a week he gets it in a nuby sippy. i would think the most he's ever gotten at a time is maybe...half an oz?

when we start solids he'll have a sippy of water on his tray. and when he gets older and can communicate the want, he'll get water, most likely in a cup.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Masonsmommy06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mason won't drink water unless I flavor it with juice.
Ashley~Wife to Martin~Mom to~Mason Karl 2/23/06 & Grace Nevaeh 7/26/07. Furmom to Peri 5-2-10 & Angel 04 & Aunt to Elisabeth Astrid 12/12/06, Stephen Lee 12/18/08, John Drake 12/22/10, Rayne Lyn 5/6/12, Connor Maxwell 7/11/12, Sarah Renee 3-7-13, & Rabecca May 4-20-13
Masonsmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Riviera510
Registered Users

I didn't give any of my babies water until they were about 10-11 months old. At that point I'd give them a sippy of water and maybe for the whole day would drink 1-2oz. Even now my 14.5 month old twins dont drink that much water. They both drink about 21-24oz of milk per day and maybe 2oz of water each per day.

Old DS Feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=28867.0
Riviera510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have been giving ds water since 6mths.......we fill his sippy, and let him regulate how much he wants depending on his thrist, hes never chosen water over nursing though.
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonsmommy06
Mason won't drink water unless I flavor it with juice.
Same here! We do about 1oz juice with 3oz water and let him sip on that while he is eating at the table. We started juice/water mixed when we started veggies at about 6 mo. Just a couple of oz a day then. Nowdays he'll drink maybe 4-6 oz a day (which is still only 2-3 oz of juice, and we only get 100% juice). He'd still rather nurse though!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #9
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Yep that is us too, DD gets bad rashes so we try to avoid juice, but she likes just a little to give her water some flavor. She has been drinking water since she was about 2 mo, I know a lot of peds and others don't think they need it BF or not, but I have found that a little warm water can do wonders for a gassy belly. At such a young age she only got water when it seemed she needed it, then only about 2 oz of warm water then lots of tummy time to get rid of the gas bubbles. ARound 6 mo when she really started eating more solids I gave her a cup of water w/ about 3-4 oz in it so she could drink w/ her meals snacks, granted she didn't always drink that much, just offered. Now I give her about 1 oz juice to 6 oz water (she is almost 14 mo).

Hope that helps.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

We live in Phoenix, so they drink water from a nubby cup as soon as they can suck on it. (about six-seven months) and they get drinks from it throughout the day. I make sure they have some as soon as they get up from a nap, and with their meals.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote