Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

For those who selectively vax...which ones and why?

Thinking about cutting down on the number of vaxes we get. Not sure which ones to nix and which ones to keep. Anyone have any good articles on this?

Advertisement

Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
MammRen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For those who selectively vax...which ones and why?

Have you looked at www.vaccineinfo.net?
MammRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We made our decisions based on me being a SAHM and not using daycare, and the area we live in (Central TX). So your needs might be far, far different from ours. It's a really personal thing.

We didn't do the "new" vaxes because we don't think there's enough history behind them to use the kids as guinea pigs (HiB, Prevnar, pnuemacoccol, etc.) On most of these anyway, if your child is over the age of 5, they are no longer required (and in fact the manufacturer does not recommend they be given over those ages. See CDC.)

We delayed some doses of DPT because in doing so you can bring the total doses down from 5, to 4. (See the CDC explanation at bottom of chart for this under the Alernative Vaccination schedule)

MMR we gave at age 3.

HepB we gave because of our area; HepA we declined because we feel it is too new, but if it was not for that I would get it for our area as well.

Polio (IPV only) we did get because it has generational studies etc. BUT - I may choose not to get it for our youngest because frankly we do not travel outside the US and all cases from the past X > 10 years in the US were caused by the vaccine (I'm summing up and leaving out a lot on that, it's been awhile since I looked up the specific references on polio, so please do not take me as "source" for that.)

Mostly, the kids are caught up by school age; we delay more then nix on most of the vaccines, or they simply outgrow the need (Prevnar etc.) My biggest, biggest issue was doing single vaccinations and waiting weeks or months between shots to ensure there was no reaction, or if there was, we'd know exactly what shot caused it.

Good luck, and this is just my experience and opinions, please look at the CDC site before anything else - there's "hidden" info on the charts that can help you out. (like 4 DPT's instead of 5 if you get the last shot late). I'm sure there will be some mama's replying with a ton of info for you, I don't have links handy at the moment, so I will bow to their expertise
ravenonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
tropicalmom2b
Registered Users
seller

I'm trying to make that decision right now. dd is 4mo and hasn't had anything to date. Have read books and info and right now am leaning toward nothing until after 2yrs and then only Polio cultured in human cells and D, P, and T separately if I can find them here. All six months apart. See no need for Chicken Pox or MMR.
tropicalmom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
crunchy-mama
Registered Users

They do not make DTap seperately.
They did have P but not aP and I believe it went off the market.

Just curious...why Polio??
crunchy-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
BeUTfulMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are thinking of delaying vaxing for at least a year, maybe two. But, we might be traveling to Australia to visit family when the baby is about 1 yr or 1 yr and a half. Do you think we would need to get any of the vaxes before traveling?
BeUTfulMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't made too many decisions about it yet.

DS got all his 2 month shots (I gave into DH and the ped's constant nagging, grr). He hasn't had any since. He's 5 months.

I am going to get his second dose of DTaP at 6 months though. Pertussis is still fairly common in the US and if my son got it it would be very dangerous for him. As scared as I am, the benefits of the shot outweigh the risks of catching Pertussis in our case.

He won't be getting HepB or Polio right now. We'll get those some time before he goes to school though. MMR we'll do seperately... not sure what age we'll start. I was thinking about after 2, but with the recent Mumps outbreaks, who knows.