Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
eringobragh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: huh????

LOVE the potty whisperer link......very informative and useful.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
robynthemama@yahoo.com
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I heard about, and decided to try EC with my 4th. I already had 3, my oldest had just turned 5 - so everyone thought I was nuts! I started with Leona when she was 9 days old, and on the day she was 14 days old, she didn't go in her diaper at ALL. She did really really well in the beginning with the whole EC thing, then definatly got out of it for a few months when she started crawling and walking, but - I was just diligent about changing her as SOON as she peed, and she still almost always would go poo in the potty, and she would get super stressed, like it felt yucky whenever she had a wet or dirty diaper, she would even wake up in the middle of the night to go. Now she is 19 months, and has been in panties for a month exclusively. I LOVE EC, and will do it with any and all future children I will have.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
katherinecparker
Registered Users

We have EC'ed with our son since birth. I can't recommend it highly enough! Thanks for posting the excellent explanation and all the links to ECing resources, Pixiepunk.
katherinecparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd love to EC... as long as my ds2 is mostly potty trained by then, I think we'll give it a shot for baby#3.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

We just started EC'ing and I will say it's been amazing! I've learned to pick up on her cues and it's so exciting when we get a catch! We even got our first poop catch yesterday! She truely does not want to be in a wet diaper and will give me a warning (pee just a tad) and if i hurry and get her on the potty she'll finish up! It's been really awesome being able to communicate with her in this way!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #16
momtocole&parker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THis is very interesting! What are the cues for when they potty? I dont notice any cues from DS when he has to go. I can tell when he has to do a poo, but by the time I get him to the potty, he has already gone. He only poo's every 3 or do days.
[I] Jane SAHM to ColeThomas (5/04) and Parker Kai (10/18/07) Earn Amazon gift cards and more. http://www.superpoints.com/spd/j_agazzi http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/butterflyhaven Outpost http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/7940742
momtocole&parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

every kid is different, though often they squirm or grunt when they have to poo. do you notice that the poo happens at a certain time of day? usually mornings, or evenings? after he's been fed? my DS was so regular with his pees and poops, i could practically set the clock to it once i figured out his patterns.

you might want to keep a paper and pen handy for a week or so, jot down times you feed, and when baby pees or poos and see if you can start noticing some patterns. i found that incredibly helpful when i started out.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #18
kthiday
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
FYI, EC is not necessarily about *never* using diapers. most mamas use CD's as back-up for EC, at least some of the time. it's about getting to know your child's cues so that when s/he is about to pee or poop you can offer the potty instead of letting them go in their diaper. you may also start to notice certain times that your baby always goes - like 'x' minutes after they nurse, or right when they wake up, or approximately every 'x' minutes or hours. if you know when your child goes, letting them go in the potty not only allows you to save on diaper laundry, it keeps your child clean and sanitary - no sitting around for a half-hour in a wet or poopy diaper. babies are born knowing when they are about to eliminate, and do not find it comfortable to sit in a soiled diaper. by using diapers full-time and changing on a schedule, you are teaching your child to ignore the discomfort associated with sitting in a wet diaper, and to disassociate the feeling of needing to eliminate with the process of eliminating - making it much harder to then turn around and teach them to relearn what that feels like when it's time to do 'potty training.' most EC'd kids are using the potty regularly/reliably with few or no accidents and without any diapers by the time they're about 12-18 months, and virtually all by the time they're 2. i didn't even start with either of my kids till they were over 6 months of age (DD was 10 months), and they were both still 100% out of diapers before they turned 2. but it's not about potty training, that's just a bonus - it's about teaching your child to communicate about needing to pee and poop from the beginning, instead of teaching them it's OK to soil themselves and then turning around and trying to teach them that it's not.

many cultures don't have diapers at all, and this is just the way things are done.

here's some links for those interested. there's also quite an active sub-forum over at MDC for questions and support:

www.diaperfreebaby.org/

www.natural-wisdom.com/

www.ec-information.com

www.pottywhisperer.com

www.TimL.com/ipt

http://www.tribalbaby.org/ECindex.html
thanks for the links- i have seen some of em, but not all...

kthiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #19
Sunshinesmiles22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
I'd love to EC... as long as my ds2 is mostly potty trained by then, I think we'll give it a shot for baby#3.
It can be helpful to do two at once. The older one "helps" the younger, or at least tries to show off as the big sibling.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
Sunshinesmiles22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLyn View Post
We just started EC'ing and I will say it's been amazing! I've learned to pick up on her cues and it's so exciting when we get a catch! We even got our first poop catch yesterday! She truely does not want to be in a wet diaper and will give me a warning (pee just a tad) and if i hurry and get her on the potty she'll finish up! It's been really awesome being able to communicate with her in this way!
My little one has started the "pee just a tad" thing lately if I miss her first cue. So funny! She gives me this look, "mommy, HELLO!"