Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Question Miscellaneous ??? for CDing mamas - LONG

OK, I'm still new to this whole CDing thing , and I have a few questions that I can't find the answers to when I search. A couple of these are kind-of silly, but I thought I'd ask anyway!!

1) Is it OK to use baby powder with cloth dipes? Will it get embedded in the fabric & cause build-up? (Yes, I know all about the dangers of babies inhaling it & all that... I'm careful when I use it!)

2) I think my son has a short rise (I've JUST figured this out!), which explains why so many things fit him the way they do... ANYWAY, I suspect that most things - sposies, pockets, covers, etc. - are coming up higher on his tummy than they do on most babies. The problem is that there's a big difference in his stomach size when he's laying down vs sitting up - or folded in half on the floor trying to get his foot in his mouth! He just turned 4 months old, and he's very squirmy & active, but still lays a lot on the floor to play. How do I know how tight to make the diapers? If I get them to fit good for when he's laying down, they look too tight when he's sitting up. His belly eventually bulges over them, the dipes ride down... you get the picture! And if I get them comfortable for when he's sitting up, they're too baggy in front for when he's laying down. FYI - I have no desire for him to wear PFs & soakers/shorties/longies all the time (no offense to those who do).

3) Does anyone know where I can get good, basic, reputable facts regarding the "sanitation" of CDs? I haven't told my MIL yet that I'm CDing, but she'll see it for herself when she visits this weekend. I'm already anticipating her concerns because I'm not bleaching and/or boiling the dipes. I don't need a ton of facts, just enough to say "these reputable places or associations did these studies..."

4) Just want opinions on this - is it OK to wash a few wet (not poopy) dipes in with a regular load of laundry? Think they'd turn out OK? I can't see anything wrong with it, but wanted to double check.

5) I've read various posts about tea tree oil, including using it in the wipes solution and in the laundry. What is the benefit to using it in the laundry? I mean, what does it *do*??

TIA!!!!!

Advertisement

mom2fussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Mommyk8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Miscellaneous ??? for CDing mamas - LONG

2) I think my son has a short rise (I've JUST figured this out!), which explains why so many things fit him the way they do... ANYWAY, I suspect that most things - sposies, pockets, covers, etc. - are coming up higher on his tummy than they do on most babies. The problem is that there's a big difference in his stomach size when he's laying down vs sitting up - or folded in half on the floor trying to get his foot in his mouth! He just turned 4 months old, and he's very squirmy & active, but still lays a lot on the floor to play. How do I know how tight to make the diapers? If I get them to fit good for when he's laying down, they look too tight when he's sitting up. His belly eventually bulges over them, the dipes ride down... you get the picture! And if I get them comfortable for when he's sitting up, they're too baggy in front for when he's laying down. FYI - I have no desire for him to wear PFs & soakers/shorties/longies all the time (no offense to those who do).
You might want to try something with a lower rise. I think Green Acre Designs-Gad, or Swaddlebees have a lower rise, Also side snapping might help also
3) Does anyone know where I can get good, basic, reputable facts regarding the "sanitation" of CDs? I haven't told my MIL yet that I'm CDing, but she'll see it for herself when she visits this weekend. I'm already anticipating her concerns because I'm not bleaching and/or boiling the dipes. I don't need a ton of facts, just enough to say "these reputable places or associations did these studies..."
I would tell her you wash the diapers on hot and put 1/2 cup of baking soda in with your detergent. Check out this link http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...y%20basics.htm
4) Just want opinions on this - is it OK to wash a few wet (not poopy) dipes in with a regular load of laundry? Think they'd turn out OK? I can't see anything wrong with it, but wanted to double check.
Only if you use one of the recommended detergents fromt he above site to wash your clothes
5) I've read various posts about tea tree oil, including using it in the wipes solution and in the laundry. What is the benefit to using it in the laundry? I mean, what does it *do*??
Helps to get the smell out of diapers...I also think it has cleaning properties to disinfect.
[/QUOTE]
Mommyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I use johnsons baby powder with corn starch, and have no issues with build up and i know others use baby powder too so i think it's fine

for the rise, i'd suggest when they look like theyre too tight on the standing belly, put your fingers through the front and feel how tight it really is,like with jeans most diapers are stretchy for a snug fit.

the websites, i know there around, someone here can get the links for you, i dont have any links, sorry

i think it's ok to wash with some clothese AS LONG as you do NOT add fabric softener and when your clothes go INTO the dryer, do NOT add any dryer sheets
TTO is antimicrobial, antifungal, so it cleanes, i love tto and use it with my diapers and also it is in rash salves and wipes solution
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
TTO is antimicrobial, antifungal, so it cleanes, i love tto and use it with my diapers and also it is in rash salves and wipes solution
I don't have anything really to add to pp but wanted to say that if you add this to your wash you can tell MIL about the properties of TTO and maybe that will satisfy her w/ the clean aspect of CDing. If that makes sense. Lavendar also has some of these properties so keep that in mind.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

I second the suggestion of trying some diapes that are meant to be low rise, that way they should always fit below your baby's tummy and you won't have as much change in size between lying down and sitting up. I personally, LOVE all the Swaddlebees products I've tried, they fit my dd perfectly but there are lots of other low rise diapers out there.

Unfortunately I cannot find any studies on the sanitation of cloth diapers washed at home, but honestly cloth diapers have been used for 100s of years without the extremely effective washers we now have. If they got clean then, I'm sure they are getting cleaner now. The key to clean diapers is LOTS of water and about 1/2 the amount of detergent reccomended by regular laundry detergent.

If you are worried about it or need something good to tell your MIL, you can order and use Bi-O-Kleen products that have active enzymes that eat any bacteria, BUT don't use it all the time and make sure you run an extra rince because if there are any enzymes left in the fabric once dried they could cause problems for your baby's skin. You could also line dry them in the sun, a VERY effective sanitizer.

Or you can use tea tree oil, 3-4 drops in the rise cycle every other wash are pretty effective for me. I also like to add a wipe with a few drops on it to the laundry bag to cut down on the smell between washing. Here is some information on tea tree oil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil and another interesting RESEARCH based link http://www.tto.bcs.uwa.edu.au/

Also if you need more researched backed facts on cloth diapers to give your MIL here is a GREAT site http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php
Old 08-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

GREAT links, everyone! Thanks! I especially like that detergent list on the pinstripesandpolkadots website. (I've never seen another so thorough.) That whole website is quite a resource!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Just realized I forgot to comment on one other thing. Thanks for the advice about the fit of the diaper. At some point, if I have more money to spend , I'll try Swaddlebees too!