Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
pigletmsu
Registered Users

EC pause?

Guess I'll post the first question on the new EC section since I was just wondering this. DD has been pretty good wth ECing up until the past 2 weeks and now she hasn't gone at all in 2 weeks. I remember reading that it's common to have EC-pauses around 4 months and DD is 4 1/2 mns right now.

Any tips on getting thru this? Just keep putting her on the potty like I have been and eventually she'll pick it back up? She doesn't fight it at all. She actually loves to sit on her potty. My only thought is that she recently found her feet and spends the whole time on the potty trying to get her feet and play with them. Maybe they're distracting her from doing her business???

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EC pause?

dd did that at 10.5 months(ish) when she started walking...she was diaper free except for nights and errands from 4 months til then......she loves her potty still but just for play she is using it more frequently now but as soon as she pees a drop she wants to dump and flush it and do more:lol: just stick with it
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
kthiday
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
dd did that at 10.5 months(ish) when she started walking...she was diaper free except for nights and errands from 4 months til then......she loves her potty still but just for play she is using it more frequently now but as soon as she pees a drop she wants to dump and flush it and do more:lol: just stick with it
DS did the same at 10.5mo when he started walking. Don't push it- just leave the potty out where they have easy acess to it. When they are ready, they'll get back into it. If you make it a big deal, I have found I get more resistance.

kthiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD did this around the same age!! She too found her feet and wanted to EAT them any chance to had!! LOL! Have you tried other distractions while on the potty? A toy or just something she can hold to get the attention off of her feet! HTH! Carrie
Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
kthiday
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah&bellasmom View Post
My DD did this around the same age!! She too found her feet and wanted to EAT them any chance to had!! LOL! Have you tried other distractions while on the potty? A toy or just something she can hold to get the attention off of her feet! HTH! Carrie
DS had a *special potty toy* that we only left in the bathroom, that he only got to play w/ when going potty. It made LOTS of noise, so it was totally annoying to me, but it worked at keeping him distracted- especially when I knew he had to potty but didn't really want to sit there, KWIM?

kthiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
elliehill2
Registered Users

DS is 9 months and on a potty break. I'm still holding him over a potty insert - do you think I should try letting him sit on a proper potty now or would that confuse him - he bows up on me right now every time I hold him over the other thing or sink - and we were doing so well Any ideas anyone
elliehill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Sunshinesmiles22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliehill View Post
DS is 9 months and on a potty break. I'm still holding him over a potty insert - do you think I should try letting him sit on a proper potty now or would that confuse him - he bows up on me right now every time I hold him over the other thing or sink - and we were doing so well Any ideas anyone
Mine (9 1/2m) has gone through a few pauses. It was frustrating at first, but recently I've just given her different options. We have a toilet seat insert (munchkin works great-Target), a few potties (bbjorn), and we sometimes still hold her. We've found (through much trial and error) that she fights it for a couple reasons:

1: she doesn't have to go. If we offer her too often, she bucks like a crazy baby!
2: She's bored. Sometimes she needs distractions. In the way of toys (toilet paper holders are her favorite) or just a different scene.
3: When she's tired, she does NOT want to sit on any potty.

It's a circle with us. If we miss one of the three, and continue--she fights us more. It seems like she just digs her little baby heels in. When we let it go and just relax (sometimes reverting to a reg. cloth setup), it works itself out.

HTH.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
robynthemama@yahoo.com
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Leona did a potty strike when she started crawling, for about a month, when I could only catch pees when she woke up, she never wanted to poo in a diaper though, but - she would poo anywhere if she was diaper free. Then she did another strike around 10 months, when she started walking. She got really back into the whole EC thing around 12 months, now is all done, all good - even at night, and has been for a month or so (before that, she would go back and forth - doing really well for a month, then regressing for a week or so, then ...). Don't loose faith - it IS an awesome thing. And Ona is even my 4th! And my oldest is only 6! But now though - for the first time in 6 1/2 years, I have none in diapers (uh oh - "honey! we need another BABY!!!!").
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Sunshinesmiles22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynthemama@yahoo.com View Post
Leona did a potty strike when she started crawling, for about a month, when I could only catch pees when she woke up, she never wanted to poo in a diaper though, but - she would poo anywhere if she was diaper free. Then she did another strike around 10 months, when she started walking. She got really back into the whole EC thing around 12 months, now is all done, all good - even at night, and has been for a month or so (before that, she would go back and forth - doing really well for a month, then regressing for a week or so, then ...). Don't loose faith - it IS an awesome thing. And Ona is even my 4th! And my oldest is only 6! But now though - for the first time in 6 1/2 years, I have none in diapers (uh oh - "honey! we need another BABY!!!!").
Congratulations!! How old is your little one? We're in the 9 1/2 month "phase". Good to hear amazing outcomes!!