Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #11
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Potty learning: What have I done wrong?

I feel a little bad for laughing a little when I read the bit about "it's been four days!" DS is 3.5 and we've had a love-hate relationship with the potty for MONTHS now. We went from using the potty, to peeing on the floor, back into diapers, to taking the diapers off to use the potty, to not even caring about the potty and just going in the diapers, to the potty again, back to peeing on the floor, back to the potty....boy has it been a fun ride! We are JUST NOW getting to where he's almost 99% "housebroken." I have started putting undies on him so he can practice pulling those down, but we still have to use diapers when we're out of the house. And he still has "oopses" sometimes when he just plain forgets.

It's not a big deal, mama. Don't stress out. Just keep the potty available, remind him about it, praise him when he uses it, and let him take the lead. Just because he is capable of using it when you PUT him on it doesn't mean he's ready to let you know ahead of time when he needs to go so he can use it on his own. He may just not be mentally there yet, even if he signs "toilet" all day one day doesn't mean he'll do it again the next. Independent potty learning isn't a few days thing (except for some very lucky mamas!), it can take a while. It's a big skill to master!

Advertisement

hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty learning: What have I done wrong?

I just wanted to add that I think pting can be a very frustrating thing. It makes it a lot easier if the child wants to do it and is really physically and mentally ready. Don't be so hard on yourself. I was terribly hard on myself when my son wouldn't use the potty -- he would go a couple of times but I think it was that I caught him at the right time to go ... but then he refused. he is 5 yrs old and still not pting but is a SN/globally delayed child. My middle son is totally pt at 3 and it was so easy for him--but he was totally ready.