Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question CLOTH diaper fabric? whats good/bad?HELP NOW PLEASE! NO TIME!

OK!!!!! I JUST got back from a Church yard sale and they gave me ALL the rest of their clothes they didnt sell! NOW, I am wanting to use it to make cloth diapers, soakers, liners, etc. So it stuff that will be right on the babys skin and needs to be absorbant NOT repellant....

I know I can use 100% cotton, but what about a % of cotton mixed with something else? Such as like 50% cotton and 50% polyester, which is what most turtle necks seem to be in here...?or 90% cotton & 10% something else?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW right away, b/c I am going through everything right now and need to have it all sorted and the extra stuff the the Free Store BEFORE DH comes home!!!!! lol..... He is over working on our rental house...so it could be an hour or could be a few, dont want to chance it b/c, although a good guy, will have AN ABSOLUTE PANIC ATTACK if he comes home with the entire driveway covered in clothes! lol.

Advertisement

christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Re: CLOTH diaper fabric? whats good/bad?HELP NOW PLEASE! NO TIME!

HELP.....
Old 05-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
clothdiaperoutlet
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: CLOTH diaper fabric? whats good/bad?HELP NOW PLEASE! NO TIME!

Anything fleecey is good (not fleece like sweatshirts, but like blankets or pullovers) for liners or stay-dry inners. Terry (like towels) is good for inserts and soakers. Tshirt material can be used for inserts and soakers, but they don't work as well. Anything flannel is fabulous. Great for any part of the diaper prett much.
girl July 2005 ~ boy June 2010 ~ boy #2 March 2013

Serving families since 2005!
clothdiaperoutlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
lovencloth
Registered Users
seller

Location: MN, I have cats, but they don't smoke, and neither do we.

Mixed fabric is OK, the more poly content you have, (I have heard) the less absorbant it is, for example. I use 80/20 sherpa, it is 80% cotton, 20% polyester, to hold the fabric together better. I would strive for less than 50% poly content, otherwise you will just get bulky dipes that don't hold all that much. Old towels can be great (as the pp said) and flannel shirts if they are not too old and worn. Cotton t-shirts should work, but you will need lots of layers. a good soaker should hold about 10-13 oz. you could always test it with water prior to sewing it together. (pour water on it slowly, just before it starts to drip, it has hit max. absorbancy. HTH.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

Anything cotton, or mostly cotton, is great. I've used fabrics with maybe 10% or 20% poly or other content, and they work okay. Flannel, denim, fleece, sweatshirt material, and T-shirt material are all good for diapers, although T-shirts aren't as thick or durable as the rest.

Just about anything cotton can be a diaper! Good luck and have fun with your clothes-recycling!
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would love any wool sweaters if you have em and aren't gonna use em. I will pay shipping and more if you want. LMK Thanks wanting to make soakers and live in West hot Texas noone wears wool sweaters here LOL> THanks.

With other materials...I am fairly new to dipe making but I got some flannel shirts and I would say any towels or terry robes. Have fun!! That is way cool.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: CLOTH diaper fabric? whats good/bad?HELP NOW PLEASE! NO TIME!

OK! Great! Thanks! (sorry no wool ) I found several that are one of the following:
~100% cotton
~80% cotton 20% polyester (some T-necks & t shirts)
~50%cotton 50% polyester (some T-necks & t shirts)

I have decided that I want to use the fabric from them as a "cover" to make liners/soakers. I bought some microfiber towels and am thinking- a couple layers of that, and then sew a layer of the recycled clothing material over that, you know, just to give it some color, what do you think???????? I just dont want to get it all put together and find out that the material I used wont let the water through... And of course, I didnt want to put anything against thier hienys that is known for causing rash issues.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
lovencloth
Registered Users
seller

Location: MN, I have cats, but they don't smoke, and neither do we.

Just a thought, you might want to strip the fabric before you use it in soakers (I just thought about this) whomever had the clothes probobly used fabric softner which can cause repelling and ruin the absorbancy of your diapers. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.