Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
lilepad
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Root canal while breastfeeding ?

I haven't had one while BFing, but I have had two root canals. It probably depends on how your dentist does it. Mine made sure to get rid of the infection first with antibiotics and then I had the root canal. He just numbed it w/ Novocaine and did it like a filling, more or less. Afterward he gave me some Tylenol 3 and I only needed like one of those. I guess Tylenol 3 may not be safe (there have been some warnings about codeine while BFing) though. Your dentist should call your doctor to find out what you can take--mine did that for a different problem I had two weeks ago.

My other root canal was with a different dentist who did not clear the infection first. It was a gross abscessing mess that made me very ill. I am a strong proponent of antibiotics first!

Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, if tooth is infected get antibiotics first and clear up the infection. Turns out the pain of my toothache/infection was taken away more so by the antibiotics than the pain relievers they gave me. Man, oh man i never want to feel the pain of a toothache ever again.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
misty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

don't have time to read all responses now so i mught be repeating. i had a ton of work done for the same reasons and they have a painkiller you can take while breastfeeding. you need to task them ahead of time and see if they offer it. mine did. it just wears off a little sooner so you might have to have a couple extra shots. i fed right before i went and had some milk pumped in case i still felt uncomfortable but ended up not using it just bf. good luck!
serving my #1-Jesus Christ; helper, lover, friend to eric and blessed to be a sahm (though working 24/7) to ella gracie (03/05/03) and abigail ann (02/04/07) and levi david (8/16/10).
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I had one once when I was nursing my 2nd. I HAD to have it done, my tooth was killing me.

My Doc assured me that the meds were fine, and I opted to just take Tylenol afterwards for pain rather than the meds the prescribed.

If it's something you need, don't put it off. Just have some pumped milk stored in case you need to rest afterwards and someone else can feed the baby.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
jjhawke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to have a root canal while I was pregnant. I cleared it with my MW and the dentist. They just used the numbing stuff, can't remember what it was called. There are antibiotics that are safe to take while you're pregnant or breastfeeding and it was not painful. I just took Tylenol for that day and was fine the next.
jjhawke is offline   Reply With Quote