Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
mommyfrog
Registered Users

a lot of amniotic fluid

Has anyone else had a lot of amniotic fluid? The ultrasound tech said I have a lot, but it's at the upper end of normal and not dangerous. I am consistently measuring 6 weeks ahead and the baby himself measures 2 weeks big. So if I'm 28 weeks and measure 34, by the time I'm 40 weeks I'll measure 46 weeks, if this keeps up. Is that possible or will I go into labor early? Does this raise the risk of my water breaking early? I'll ask my doctor at my next appointment, but it's not for 2 weeks and I had insomnia last night, so I had plenty of time to think!! Anyone have a similar experience? How did it turn out?

Advertisement

Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: a lot of amniotic fluid

The amniotic fluid will fluctuate so much during a pregnancy it really is a hit or miss as to what's going on. I had an U/S to check the placement of my placenta because the first u/s said it was "low lying" and on the second one, they found my amnio fluid to be VERY low. Although I measured three weeks bigger on every single appointment. Right up till my 40th week I measured big. Starting around 34 weeks, I had to go in twice a week for u/s and NST's.

Don't worry about it much mama. Talk to the doc and see what they recommend about monitoring it.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

I've had a lot of fluid in previous pg's but not an abnormal amount. For me it may have caused issues with position, not sure if that is why. I had #3 c/sec because he was transverse, even at 39 weeks 5 days(when he was born) he had plenty of room to move around and he weighed 9-3. My Dr did a version and he flipped completely around, wouldn't stay head down long enough to break my water. I had similar issues with #4 but was having a repeat c/sec anyway so didn't worry about it. Those things could just be me, but I do think you have a higher risk of cord prolapse if your water breaks early and babies head is not engaged. Most likely you won't have any issues because of it other than being a little bigger. GL and hope my story didn't sound scary.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
Has anyone else had a lot of amniotic fluid? The ultrasound tech said I have a lot, but it's at the upper end of normal and not dangerous. I am consistently measuring 6 weeks ahead and the baby himself measures 2 weeks big. So if I'm 28 weeks and measure 34, by the time I'm 40 weeks I'll measure 46 weeks, if this keeps up. Is that possible or will I go into labor early? Does this raise the risk of my water breaking early? I'll ask my doctor at my next appointment, but it's not for 2 weeks and I had insomnia last night, so I had plenty of time to think!! Anyone have a similar experience? How did it turn out?
Do you have Gestational Diabetes? Everything according to the high risk obs that I left.. have said that diabetes causes the large amount of fluid and large for age baby. I went into labor at 37 weeks {on my own} and measured almost full term. I was on insulin when I had all of that.

I would just ask your ob/mw about it. Are they concerned or do you just have big babies? It really could be nothing as maybe your dates are off. If not, they may test you for Gestational Diabetes. I have always measured correctly except for my 1st pregnancy when I went past due and had low fluid.

I am sure some other mamas will chime in with their experiences. Please keep us updated!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had excessive fluid with my DD#1, and I have it again this go round.

I didnt have anything physically wrong with me that caused it to happen, either. With DD, I delivered at 38 weeks. But my water didnt break until she was already crowning! So I dont know that having a lot of fluid means your water will break early, necessarily.

This time, baby is measuring 2 weeks head (they just changed my due date) but I still have a lot of fluid. The Midwife I'm seeing now says that HOW MUCH YOU DRINK (in the way of watery liquids) has a lot to do with fluid levels.

That having been said, I might as well be a fish. I drink upwards of 64 oz. of water a day!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
kittkat398
Registered Users
seller

I had high fluid levels both pg's. No I never had GD, yes my babies are big, and they come later, it's just the way it is for me. It does not always indicate a problem.
kittkat398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had polyhydramnios (SP?) with my second, and other than the fact he couldn't engage while I was in labor...we had to wait until a C/S room opened up just incase of cord prolapse. After my water broke he engaged and was born rather quickly after that.

Good luck...the hardest part was staying comfortable for me, I was so HUGE! at 37 weeks I measured 48...I had him 2 days shy of 38 weeks, and I went into labor on my own.
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
mommyfrog
Registered Users

No I don't have GD and yes I do have big babies. I'm not really concerned about his size, just the amount of fluid. Thanks for the answers. Sounds like it probably won't really affect anything much.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, yah, wanted to add that my DD#1 was NOT a big baby (jut barley touched in at 6 lbs.!). LOL
Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Katie_bug
Registered Users

With my son I wasn't ever told that my levels were high but every ultra sound I had i was told that I was measuring ahead of date. In the end they were predicting an 11lbs baby so they decided to induce me at 39 weeks. My body wasn't ready for labor and both myself and baby went into shock within minutes of them starting the pitocin. I ended up having a 7lbs 3oz baby via c-section! After it was all over my dr told me that I was carrying so much fluid that they had to vaccuum it out before they could get the baby out. And I've also found out since then that the most accurate ultra sound is at 6weeks because most babies all start out roughly the same size but every ultra sound from then on get more and more inaccurate due to variations in sizes. It's more or less an estimate and they can be way off. So basically what I'm trying to say is don't worry about having too much fluid unless it's dangerously high and don't worry about measuring off date. ~Katie
Katie_bug is offline   Reply With Quote