Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Laziness

Our homeschooling schedule is anything but rigid. I do require them to get their work done, but it's all so relaxed. We sit on the living room floor and read together, then they do their work however they are most comfortable.

I'm wondering if this is causing them to be lazy or what. Well, actually not my ds, just my dd (7). She never tries her best, ever. She hands me work that includes sentences without punctuation, trades off between cursive and print, totally sloppy, etc. When I ask her why she isn't doing her best she says, "I guess I'm just lazy."

Well, how do I help her want to do her best? Ideas?

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:
Re: Laziness

I hope this doesnt sound mean......but my son did this last year and we went over it and over it...then I had him re-do some pages sometimes. Then I finally put the worst thing....a frowny face! That changed the tune real quick. He did NOT want any more frownies!!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I make my DD redo the work over and over again until it's up to standard. The idea of doing it right in the first place so she doesn't have to redo it is what is hammered home. She knows the standards so I hold her to them. It's painful because it's time consuming (and my DD likes to see how long she can be made to sit there before she decides to just redo the work... her longest time is 4 hrs).
Old 08-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by annes_cottage
I hope this doesnt sound mean......but my son did this last year and we went over it and over it...then I had him re-do some pages sometimes. Then I finally put the worst thing....a frowny face! That changed the tune real quick. He did NOT want any more frownies!!!
This actually really made me giggle! The dreaded frowny face!
But actually that is a good idea, I know Kaitlin would be very displeased to have a frowny face on her paper. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife
I make my DD redo the work over and over again until it's up to standard. The idea of doing it right in the first place so she doesn't have to redo it is what is hammered home. She knows the standards so I hold her to them. It's painful because it's time consuming (and my DD likes to see how long she can be made to sit there before she decides to just redo the work... her longest time is 4 hrs).
Your dd must not know you very well, lol

I guess I do need to be tougher. I occasionally make her redo her work, but usually not until after several days of slop. I think I'm afraid of them hating it so much they'll say "I want to go to school!"
Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we're super relaxed here too. Now with each page I explain what I expect. If its math I'm looking for correct answers, that means DS isn't penalized for reversed numbers. On a writing assignment based on comprehension etc (where the answers are in the paragraph above) the answers AND spelling count since they can see/find the word. In other writing I may look for content initially, whatever the basic assignment was. The next day the English assignment may be to correct spelling errors and re-write those words on a seperate sheet. Or it might be to re-write the work with proper punctuation. Or sometimes just to correct that page w/o rewriting it. At times they type sentences vs writing them.
Yes the frown face is a BIG deal here too. Or only half a smile face.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I have the same problem with my 7 yo dd. Our biggest problem is math. Today I sat in the room with her while she did it and she flew through it and only missed one. If I leave her to do it then I'm going to get a page back with at least 30% done wrong or sloppy or backwards numbers. DRIVES ME NUTS. I've been making her redo anything she misses, and since she's very "score" oriented, I've been known to put a grade on there, if it's less than an 80, it's written in red. She hates that. I'm going to have to add the frowny face into my bag of tricks. LOL

It's hard though, I struggle with laziness, so it drives me crazy to see it in her. We also have a laid back HS schedule, although I'm trying this year to be a bit more formal since she's in 3rd grade and has more work to do now. I'm hoping to form a habit, mainly with ME, to make a schedule and stick to it.
itsmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

We are very relaxed here too. However my hubby is the offically checker and she knows better now than to give daddy work that isnt her best. He has no qualms making her redo things several times until it is correct. Me on the other hand so long as she gets the point of the lesson and its mostly right I usually let her slide, Im a total push over thats why daddy is quick to jump in
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
This actually really made me giggle! The dreaded frowny face!
But actually that is a good idea, I know Kaitlin would be very displeased to have a frowny face on her paper. Thanks for the idea.

lol, yeah they DO NOT want frownies!!! lol So they try very hard not to get one!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
mom2zephyr
Registered Users
seller

I'm having this problem with my 5 yr old right now. I am very relaxed also, so I feel like when I ask you to do this, it shoudn't be hard! I finally figured out the problem: if I let him take a break to watch TV he never gets back into it. So my solution is get rid of the TV. We've done it before and survived. I think the only reason turned it on again was because I was pregnant and deserved to lay on the couch and VEG!!!
Sylvia : -Mom to 17, 12, 7, 3, #5 in the fall
mom2zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote