Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm too late aren't I?

I just finally learned about what ECing is like a week ago.

My son is 2.5 years old - too late? I guess in a way I started doing EC with him a few months ago. I just stopped putting him in diapers during the day and I take him to the potty regularly throughout the day but we usually expect to have one "miss" per day; worst case is 3 a day. I feel like we aren't making any progress because it's still totally me reminding him - although yesterday he told me he was going to go potty and sure enough he did! Anyway, is there anything else I can do to help him and to enhance our relationship/communication? Oh, and should I start at nighttime too? Right now I put him in a night dipe every night.

I'm going to try to start ECing with my 6 month old baby daughter now that I'm aware of it. So first I help her associate the action with a "potty sound"? This could be interesting...I'm excited though! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

sacredhrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

Re: I'm too late aren't I?

I asked almost the same question. I have a 2 year old and a six week old. I got some good advice here .. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=316519

Hope that helps!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Blurberrybuzz
Registered Users

With your DS, you're reconditioning the event of potty from pants to toilet.
Any fun game or comfort or charting that will help accomplish that goal will help him learn the new conditions: If I need to go, the appropriate place is the potty. Up until now, it's been in the pants.
As far as reminding him, my EC'd DS now three still gets reminders. All kids need them for a long time. All kids have misses. It doesn't matter if they're 1 or 5. They get so engrossed in playing and fun activities that they hold off going until it's too late. Fatigue, illness and distraction can add to the # of misses. You will probably be reminding him even when he's older. Go before school, go before we run out to the store, etc. It's fine. It's easier to remind them than it is to clean up pee off the car seat or at the grocery store.
For the baby, give her the opportunity to pee when it's easy to catch, right after she wakes up and 15-20 min after she nurses. Sit her or hold her over the sink or toilet and make the pssss sound. If nothing happens, oh well. If she does pee, watch her to see when she next goes. With mine it's usually 45-60 minutes later. You'll find that she'll expect the peeing after she wakes and will begin to wait for you. I was so surprised the first time my DD started peeing and I said "wait, let's get to the potty!" and she stopped her stream and resumed when I held her over the sink. She was about 7 mo. My DS Vin has done the same thing. If you can time how often she goes then it becomes easy to take her to the potty at those intervals. It may be that she 'll pee right after she wakes, 30 min later, then an hour after that. Look for that type of pattern. You'll often find cluster pees that accompany cluster nursing too.
An easy way to track the intervals of pees is to leave her in just a diaper or naked. You will get peed on the first few times. If you carry her and leave her naked, you'll be surprised at how fast you'll cue into her needs. Diapers can be a crutch with keeping those cues masked.
Anyway, it's an adventure! Enjoy.
Victoria
Blurberrybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input! Open to more wisdom!

It's so true about diapers becoming a crutch. For the first time today I held my baby over the potty after her nap and I think I gave up after about thirty seconds. (Though her prefold was soaked and warm so I was pretty sure I had already missed it - it's tricky with her because she wakes up so quietly from naps!) Oh well, we'll try harder tomorrow.
sacredhrt is offline   Reply With Quote