Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #81
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: People actually think this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblesmama View Post
It gets better, hun. You will LOVE it and it will be the easiest thing in the world. You can be 'lazy' like some of us that EBF and co-sleep and not get up at night. Trust me, if your dc and you get really comfy-cozy bfing lying down, you will get 'lazy' too.

Laziness aside, it is the most endearing, wonderful experience I have ever had in my life. I love the moments she is nursing and I am NAK or reading or something and I realize she has stopped. I look down and she is just looking at me, studying my face, gently touching and exploring my arm. I smile and don't say a thing and her eyes just smile back and then that beautiful happy grin appears. I reach out my hand and spread my fingers and she reaches up and gently explores each finger until her hand is facing mine, palm to palm. At night when all the lights are down and there is only the warm flicker of the fire (or the soft light of the monitor ), it is only her and I and we have those moments, just staring into each other's eyes, not uttering a single sound. There is this primal tug in my heart, in every fiber of my body and soul, where I KNOW this is what I should be doing and where I should be. There is nothing on this planet, in this universe, that could possibly break the bond of that moment. If this is wrong to be with my child like this, I don't want to be right.
You made my eyes all misty! That description is me and my son exactly. You just describe it better.

Advertisement

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #82
Fawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's just sad and ignorant It's like anything different from how she thinks is not the right way.......I hate that!
Fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #83
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Re: People actually think this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Where's that ********* smiley when you need it?
HAHAHAHA!!!
IAWT!

i hope that lady got chewed a new one for that ignorant/thoughtless response.
cassondruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #84
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
That "Breastfeeding a child at3,4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 years old will hurt them emotionally.
Right, because a 3 year old and an 8 year old are soooo much alike. Nursing an 8 year old is past my personal comfort level, but a 3 year old is still a baby in my eyes! Well, at least mine is. It's such a damn shame that people expect LOs to grow up so fast....once they're 1 year old, time to slap on a business suit and head to the office! No difference between a 13-month-old and a 13-year-old, I guess!

Quote:
People are so afraid of intimacy with their children it seems. What is wrong with nurturing your child through affection and nursing, showing with real actions of affection, that you love them with all your heart. Not to hijack but my husband and I get negative comments because we don't buy excessive things for our daughter and his son. We spend quality time, just caring, teaching, being a friend, mentoring.....being a parent to them. Material = a good parent....not from what I can see from the kids I see in our society in the last decade or so.
This is so true, and so sad. We are so detached from our babies, not to mention ourselves....no wonder something as intimate as nursing grosses so many people out.

Last edited by hippydippymama; 02-02-2008 at 11:13 AM.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #85
lilpenguin
Registered Users
seller

some people are such idiots!!
lilpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #86
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wonder why she felt the need to be so harsh about it? Sad.
I've encountered that attitude from good, kind mothers even some who bf'ed 9 months. It always strikes me that the person who nurses longer than you're comfortable with is a freak and the one who weans earlier weaned too soon.
I was really worried about bfing before I had babies. I knew it was the best nutrition, but I thought it might be weird. I was sure I'd have my baby weaned by 6 months because nursing an older baby would be weird. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm bfing at 7 months and I'm not setting and goals or limits we'll just go as long as it works for US. I wouldn't have missed those sweet, tender moments for anything in thw world.
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #87
ajk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It gets better, hun. You will LOVE it and it will be the easiest thing in the world. You can be 'lazy' like some of us that EBF and co-sleep and not get up at night. Trust me, if your dc and you get really comfy-cozy bfing lying down, you will get 'lazy' too.

Laziness aside, it is the most endearing, wonderful experience I have ever had in my life. I love the moments she is nursing and I am NAK or reading or something and I realize she has stopped. I look down and she is just looking at me, studying my face, gently touching and exploring my arm. I smile and don't say a thing and her eyes just smile back and then that beautiful happy grin appears. I reach out my hand and spread my fingers and she reaches up and gently explores each finger until her hand is facing mine, palm to palm. At night when all the lights are down and there is only the warm flicker of the fire (or the soft light of the monitor ), it is only her and I and we have those moments, just staring into each other's eyes, not uttering a single sound. There is this primal tug in my heart, in every fiber of my body and soul, where I KNOW this is what I should be doing and where I should be. There is nothing on this planet, in this universe, that could possibly break the bond of that moment. If this is wrong to be with my child like this, I don't want to be right.
Wow! You just brought tears to my eyes. I stopped breastfeeding my DD when she was only a month old because of medical reasons, I fell very ill and was hospitilized for a while & unfortunately the hospital was very unsupportive in my wishes to continue to nurse my daughter. It was one of the hardest things I've ever gone through and although I have come to terms with it -its water under the bridge and the healthiest thing for myself and my child is to move on, it still fills me with sadness at times. Thank you for summarizing how truly beautiful an experience nursing a child is and for reminding me of what a precious bond DD and I shared for one month.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #88
RetroBaby
Witty title here
seller

My Mood:

Christ on a bike there are some STUPID people out there. I love this line:
Quote:
Keep in mind that a two-year-old can pour his own milk from the fridge if you make it accessible
Ohhhh I forgot!! Milk from a cow's breast is SO much better for a toddler than milk designed for their own species.

My mom nursed me until I was 2.5 and I think I turned out pretty well. Not a criminal or traumatized or anything.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #89
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

This may be a LITTLE off topic here but a 2 year old can pour their own milk from the fridge?????? HA! What a mess! I don't let my 3 year old outside the linoleum kitchen floor or away from the kitchen table with an open cup of milk. She's allowed sippies anywhere else but oh man, no open cup in the living room, much less pouring her own milk. Recipe for disaster.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #90
RetroBaby
Witty title here
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
This may be a LITTLE off topic here but a 2 year old can pour their own milk from the fridge?????? HA! What a mess! I don't let my 3 year old outside the linoleum kitchen floor or away from the kitchen table with an open cup of milk. She's allowed sippies anywhere else but oh man, no open cup in the living room, much less pouring her own milk. Recipe for disaster.
Seriously. Honestly my 5 year old can't really pour her own milk without a potential mess. Especially if the carton is full and is heavy. Been there. Done that. Smelled sour milk for days.