Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinvillageiowa View Post
You would be amazed how dumb people are. My high risk OB told me that my girls had seperate sacks and placentas, which they did. But he also told me there was no way they were identical. Um, hate to tell ya doc, but they ARE!!!!!! No one else though they were but I just had this gut feeling. We paid to get them tested around 9 months. We ordered a kit through Proactive Genetics. All you have to do is swipe each mouth with a swab and mail it in. They send you a letter with the results. So short answer, yes they can have seperate everything and still be identical. You can also PM me if you ever have twin questions.

And about the placenta thing, my placentas started out totally opposite of eachother and then eventually fused. So I wouldn't put too much stock in location of the placenta....
just saw in your sggy that your twins have different bdays - that is so cool! thanks for the info mama - i may have questions for you

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
littlewigglebutts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remember mamas you don't necessarily have to have your twins tested. A lot of fraternal twins have different blood types and hospitals do that part anyway.

My understanding is the only way to know ahead of time is if the twins share something. Then they have to be identical. Also most of what I've read indicates that fraternal twins run in families. (If your mother, grandmother etc... was more likely to release more than one egg at a time, so are you). If you had a single egg/embryo that split, that's identical twins, and random chance.

Interestingly you are also more likely to have fraternal twins the older you are, and some races are far more likely to have fraternal twins than others. My boys looked and still look very much the same and they have the same blood type, but they are fraternal. Anyway this is all stuff I learned back when I was having twins, so if they've figured that's wrong in the last 5 years my info may be out of date, but I think it's all good.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
thestafs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 18 month old boy girl twins and so I know they are frat. Twins do not run in my family at all though and I guess it starts with me now... They say the older you are and if you have kids close in age... for example... I have 6 year old ds, 5 yo ds, 3 yo dd, and then the 18 mo ds/dd. So mine were all 5 under 5 yrs old and I was 33 when I had the twins. So being that close and then a little older (not old at all really) that is what increased my chance for twins. And pure luck and God;s sense of humor too! Best of luck!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestafs View Post
I have 18 month old boy girl twins and so I know they are frat. Twins do not run in my family at all though and I guess it starts with me now... They say the older you are and if you have kids close in age... for example... I have 6 year old ds, 5 yo ds, 3 yo dd, and then the 18 mo ds/dd. So mine were all 5 under 5 yrs old and I was 33 when I had the twins. So being that close and then a little older (not old at all really) that is what increased my chance for twins. And pure luck and God;s sense of humor too! Best of luck!
yeah God sure has a sense of humor - my ODD just turned 2 in november and YDD turned 1 in november
Old 02-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
tellymonster1
Registered Users
seller

When was your earliest u/s? If you has a very early u/s (like 6-10 weeks I think) If they are identical, at the early u/s, they will be like 2 tic tacs in one black blob. If your first u/s was at 20 weeks, it is too late to tell (unless they share a placenta or sack)

But, if they are not sharing anything, they are a high risk like any other twin pregnancy, not as high as ID's that share things.

My girls are fraternal, which we knew early on. Still, when they were born, everyone swore they were identical, and didnt believe us They have different blood types though
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine were in seperate sacs and had seperate placentas that later fused into 1. I was told they were most likely fraternal based on placental testing and the other stuff, but at 5yrs old we did a DNA test and they are identical. Mine look A LOT alike though, I don't know how anyone could have thought they weren't!! LOL