Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Do you sew your own cloth diapers??

I am just getting in to this and would like tips and advice and info on where to buy the supplies.

Thanks so much.

valerieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
Re: Do you sew your own cloth diapers??

I get my material anywhere they sell it. I buy the elastic and aplix at walmart and I bought the snap press and snaps through Serena Johnson on notions supply in the yahoo groups.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

If you're looking to do this for your own use, there's a bunch of sites out there that offer free patterns for personal use only. As far as fabrics, you could also use recycled fabrics like t-shirts, sweatshirts, receiving blankets, flannel sheets, etc and save a bunch of money there. Off-brand hook and loop is great, but over time it looses it's "catch". I found I like touchtape as it's strong enough for my 2 yo to have difficulty getting off in a flash and isn't all that expensive. If you wanted to spend the money, you could also buy a snap press and install snaps but that's an investment of at least $80+. You can also make "prefolds" really quickly and really easily if you are afraid of sewing using a pattern. I personally use mostly prefolds due to ease in laundering them (I have 10 bodies in my home to wash clothes for), but I do make some fitteds off the pattern I've created for wool wraps. I use mostly PF and a variety of wool covers. Anyway I hth!
Carson ~~ Wifey to Sam, Mom to a blend of 8 crazy kids!
WAHMama taking a break for pre-nursing school!
~ Gallery ~ Blog ~
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
My Mood:

I get my supplies at Joanns, Walmart and online at coops and other online stores. Coops take a long time getting you your stuff, but it's much cheaper than the stores like One Stop Diaper Shop.

there isn't much I can get locally. I can get Alova Suedecloth, and elastics along with the good Gutterman thread (the only thread I will use) and ball point needles, but most fabrics have to be purchased online, along with fold over elastic if you want to use that instead of internal elastic.

I also got my snap press from Serena and I have to say she is really wonderful. Super service!
Kellie - Mom to Joe 9/11/91, Jacob 1/12/05, Caleb 5/27/06
I've earned over $250 and counting. Sign up HERE for Swagbucks if you like free stuff!
Bugaboo Bottoms Yummy Knit Sets and To DYE for LWI Interlock!
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote