Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
cprice88
Registered Users
seller

Re: AIO recommendations for picky mama

Lots of reasons...We have a bunch of AI2s, but we seldom use them. Fumbling with the snap-in soakers is annoying and can be messy at times. And we seldom use the shells more than once (ours are the kind where you can snap in a new soaker if it's only wet) because ds is past age 2 and only gets changed about 5 times a day now anyway, and often that's b/c the dipe is poopy. Also he's not always cooperative at diaper change time now b/c he's so busy doing other things, so a one-piece dipe is easier. And he goes to Montessori 2 days per week and we like to give the teachers the easiest possible dipes to use. Plus we've dabbled some in potty training (but we're definitely not ready for trainers yet) and it's a lot easier to put on a velcro one-piece diaper while ds is standing up than any other type of dipe. We've mostly been using pockets because of the quick drying factor and b/c they perform like an AIO once they are assembled, but now he's outgrowing the current size of pockets, and dh and I have always hated stuffing them. And there havve been some very nice, new true AIOs coming out on the market lately, in fact I've noticed quite a wave of them, so we're wanting to find the one that's best for us. So that's why I started this thread--to make sure I'm not missing any besides the mainstream brands like Swaddlebees, Wonder Works, BumGenius, Very Baby, Bumkins, etc. (all of which we've tried of course)

Advertisement

Last edited by cprice88; 09-04-2006 at 10:24 AM.
cprice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
*Chris~tian Mom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice88
With all the diapers we've tried, I've gotten ridiculously picky...

I'm looking for something very specific in an AIO and I want to see if there's something out there I'm missing. We need a TRUE AIO (no snaps, no flaps) with APLIX closure and suedecloth or microfleece inner that doesn't take forever to dry (I have a brand new, really good dryer so anything reasonably trim usually dries in one cycle).
You are asking too much! LOL

There is a reason why you are not finding what you are looking for. Realize that the same thing that makes a diaper absorb urine, also makes it absorb WATER. Hence, the more absorbant a soaker, the longer it will take to dry. If said soaker is then sewn DOWN or INTO the body of the dipe, then it will take a LOT longer to dry.

I am currently testing OUT my AIOs (SUPER TRIM~SUPER ABSORBANT). Before I test OUT, I test WITHIN. (IOW, my DS is my tester! LOL) I sew my soakers ON. (Even for my fitteds!) Why??? Because in the early testing WITHIN, the sewn in soaker fitteds and AIOS took 4~FOUR!~hours to dry!!!! If you are trying to save time or $$$, forget it~you're not going to do it that way! LOL
By sewing my soakers ON, ("flap", as you say) I cut the drying time WAAAYYYY BACK while still keeping the incredible super soaking abilities!!! AS a matter of fact, not only do they dry in the same time as my prefolds, they also dry FASTER then my size 0 Kissaluvs!!! (I do EXTENSIVE R & D! LOL) By sewing them ON, I have saved a step for the busy mom (no hunting and assembling) and I have saved her wallet from high energy bills, too!!! (SO she can buy more dipes, of course! <teasing> LOL)

That said...if you still wanted an AIO with a sewn in soaker and Aplix closure, I am sure you could find a custom making Mamma that would be happy to accommodate your request.

Pssstttt!!!..... Don't be afraid to ask a WAHM for something you don't see~all the ones that I know are very accommodating. And the worst thing that could happen is she *might say no!
*Chris~tian Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #13
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Fumbling with the snap-in soakers is annoying and can be messy at times.
YES YES YES!! Finally another mama that feels this way!! I Hate snap in soakers for the same reason, especially tri-fold snap ins !!! Peewells are the only snap-in soaker diapers I like, because of the snake-style soaker, they are soo cool. We have 3 pw fleece AI2's and they are really awesome. Tottaly hard to find though
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #14
cprice88
Registered Users
seller

I'm glad someone understands. I'll have to check out those PWs. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #15
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

www.thefancifulfanny.com She has really, really cute fabrics and they super well made.

From the site:

"AIOs have an outer layer of a solid or print PUL or fleece (either a water resistant windpro or a 200 OR 300 weight fleece, often with DWR applied). The inner of the AIO is a microfleece to allow for wicking of moisture away from baby and into the three layer sewn in soaker pad.

There is an additional lay in soaker with two additonal layers of hemp sandwiched between a layer of flannel and a layer of microfleece. Separating the soaker into two parts allows for a much more efficient and complete drying of the diaper. It also allows for the option of a trimmer diaper if certain outfits need it. Either way you use it, there is a stay dry layer of microfleece next to your baby’s skin."
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #16
cprice88
Registered Users
seller

Just thought I'd post an update for anyone following this thread who is in search of a quick-drying TRUE all-in-one. I bought an AngelDry and it is AWESOME!!! Her size ranges are so great, many different options to get the ideal fit for your baby's body type (my ds is hard to fit b/c he's very skinny so this was a real plus) and it dries FAST even though the soaker is internal. It seems to be equally absorbent as Magic-alls. I'm going to order more. Thanks to those who recommended these dipes!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #17
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:

I'm currently testing my AIO's and think they may dry in about 1.5 dryer cycles. Not sure about line drying. This is a very good question though. I think I will add it onto my questionnaire.
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #18
jamiectw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Just thought I'd post an update for anyone following this thread who is in search of a quick-drying TRUE all-in-one. I bought an AngelDry and it is AWESOME!!! Her size ranges are so great, many different options to get the ideal fit for your baby's body type (my ds is hard to fit b/c he's very skinny so this was a real plus) and it dries FAST even though the soaker is internal. It seems to be equally absorbent as Magic-alls. I'm going to order more. Thanks to those who recommended these dipes!
I'm glad to hear you like them! I mostly use her pockets but did try the true AIOs as well and liked that they dry fast. Any time I try any other brand/WAHM I'm always disappointed. Nothing fits like AngelDry!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #19
juniper29
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Definitely Angeldry! And also Dillydoos :-) Look for someone who puts microfiber in their dipe, then you'll get a quicker dry! And yes, if you ask for the soaker to be sewn in a the back of the dipe, I'm sure that most WAHMS will accomodate :-) That being said, it would definitely broaden your range of choices! Hope that helps!
juniper29 is offline   Reply With Quote