Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #11
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:
Re: ANTS! HELP!

Chili Powder!!! Works like a charm here!

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 03:10 AM   #12
quarli
Registered Users
seller

I use tea tree oil to get rid of and keep ants out. I just got a cheap spray bottle and for every 3 ounces of water use 1/2 ounce of tea tree oil, and use it as an ant spray. To keep them out I take a syringe and fill it with full strength tea tree oil and lay a line down on baseboards and such....it evaps fairly quickly but somehow keeps them out.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:22 AM   #13
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Yeast will kill them. Sprinkle some down & they will eat the yeast & it will kill them... also they'll bring it back to the queen & it will kill her too. Promise it works. We had an ifestation & this was the only thing that worked
Old 05-07-2006, 06:09 AM   #14
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Raid Liquid Ant Killer....tried everything natural with no success. This was cheap at Walmart and got rid of them in one dose.

HTH...

ETA: Check around the window as a possible entry for the ants, we figured out ours were coming in a miniscule crack by the screen...
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #15
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have ants really bad and haven't found anyway to keep them away for good....but, windex kills them on the spot Works for us and worked for mil too...Probably not the best solution, but it does work
Old 05-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #16
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

Well, we think we figured out the source of the ants. Jim is out front breaking up the whole front porch right now. Basically he thinks that the angle of the porch is allowing them to come in there.
So, we will see! Last night I left that bowl of borax, grape jelly and cat food on the floor - no ants this morning except one floating in the bowl. I also saw online that ants will not cross a line of lemon dish soap.... so I squirted it on the floor around the kids beds. I didn't want any in their beds!!!

I'll update after Jim's done breaking up the porch... its gonna be a while, its about 6 inches deep, all cement that runs the whole length of the front of the house.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 AM   #17
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

LMBO you are very trusting of DH is all I can say!

My DH went to "fix" my kitchen faucet a couple weeks ago - it was loose and he was going to tighten the plastic nuts underneath so it wouldn't wiggle, kwim?

SOMEHOW, he managed to kill all the water pressure...LMBO...then he takes the faucet apart, replaces more parts...this goes on ALL AFTERNOON, every time he "fixes" it it gets worse...

Hey, I ended up with a stylin' new faucet! LMBO

WTG Karen's DH!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #18
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

tea tree oil and rrubbing alcohol sprayed inthe area keeps the nasty fire ants at bay in my house.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #19
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmybabies
Well, we think we figured out the source of the ants. Jim is out front breaking up the whole front porch right now. Basically he thinks that the angle of the porch is allowing them to come in there.
So, we will see! Last night I left that bowl of borax, grape jelly and cat food on the floor - no ants this morning except one floating in the bowl. I also saw online that ants will not cross a line of lemon dish soap.... so I squirted it on the floor around the kids beds. I didn't want any in their beds!!!

I'll update after Jim's done breaking up the porch... its gonna be a while, its about 6 inches deep, all cement that runs the whole length of the front of the house.
Well I was just going to post that if you are doing any work outside that wall of the house that is what is probably causing the problem. When we did some landscaping on the back wall of our house two years ago we started getting these big black ants in the house and couldn't figure out what was going on I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom so it wasn't food and then a family member said it was probably from distirbing the dirt. Sure enough it was, we bought some chemical but all we had to do was sprinkle it around the outside of the house where we had done the work, it was granular, and then I think we watered it in. The ants were gone withing 24 hours. So it isn't a non chemical solution but when your DH is done if might be worth putting that stuff all over where he disturbed the dirt otherwise they will probably continue to come in for awhile, mine kept coming for over a week until we finally put the stuff down and we haven't ever had a problem since.

Hope that helps and the ants stay away.

-Meg
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #20
amyk0202
Registered Users

We get them pretty frequently & always have an exterminator come--one thing he said is not to spray them in the house because they scatter & can't find their way back so they start creating "trail" all over the place. He says to find where they are coming into the house & treat there & all around the perimeter.