Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need advice on wool & fitteds

Hi!
You probably don't know me...I have been doing some swapping here in the last few weeks (ok, mostly buying, not so much swapping!) and I usually hang out at the babycenter.com diapering board. But,I need some advice and thought you guys could maybe help!?

We have mainly used pockets, but DS has been getting a few diaper rashes here and there so I am slowly switching his naps and home-time (and maybe eventuallly nighttime) to fitteds and covers for some breathablility (plus, I'm just bored and need another reason to buy new CDs! We currently have one wool soaker (Aristocrat) that we love and use each day for nap (except the wool wash day!) with either a Kissaluvs or SB OV fitted underneath. I have 2 Mutts fitteds on the way, too. I also have 2 pairs of wool longies on the way, and possibly a fleece cover (Stacinator Deluxe) - pending the sale on DS.

So, my questions are:
1. is there a good trim wool or fleece cover for daytime use under regular clothes? i always have stayed away from fitteds/pfs and covers because of the bulk factor.

2. what is a good number of fitteds and covers to have to get us through naps, one or two daytime changes, and then a good nighttime combo?

3. also, out of curiosity, i just noticed our Kissaluvs tag says 90% cotton and 10% polyester. Is it still breathable, or not?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Big Grown-Up Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need advice on wool & fitteds

I think it's nice to have a mixture of styles. We use mostly fitteds at home, and often coverless for maximum breathability (not during naps, obviously ). We use AIO's or pockets for going out.
Stacinator stretch day/night covers are very trim and fit nicely over most fitteds (they run a bit big).
Look for wool jersey as opposed to knitted wool (like an Aristocrat) to reduce bulk.
I go through more fitted during a day when I've leaving him coverless, because we change as soon as he pees. Maybe 6-10 diapers per day plus a heavy-duty nighttime diaper (we like Very Baby Simply Nights). You can get by with fewer covers, just hang 'em between changes and you don't have to wash after every wearing. Maybe 24 or so diapers for an older baby; more for a newborn and maybe a half dozen covers.
I think your Kissaluvs are still pretty breathable. The small amount of polyester just helps them wear better (last longer, etc...).
HTH!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say you need 6-8 fitteds if you are still planning on using your other diapers most of the time. If you want to switch to fitteds all together, you'll probably need at least 18.

Even if kissaluvs are 10% poly, they will still breathe. You can kind of get an idea by putting your mouth up to the diaper and blowing through it. See if you can feel your breath with your hand on the other side.

Trim wool and fleece covers include Sweet Cheeks, Cheeky's Diapers, Zoom Diaper Gear, Sugarbuns, Snap-Ez, and Loveybums. You might also want to check out nylon covers, because they are very trim and they usually breathe as well.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
Kmama in TX
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to add the Little Beetle wool wrap to the list...it is the trimmest cover I own, bar none. When I need something to fit under clothes, it is the first one I reach for.

As for your other questions, to what others have said!
Kmama in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot Luxe.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote